rec diving reefs - primary light advice - K scale? model?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cosmossea

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hello,

im getting into night dives and I really enjoying it, however the light that im using is small & old (club rental) and I want something else.
looking for opinions on personal use and not much of the data on the box..

I dive mostly in the Sinai area where the water is mostly crystal clear with large colorful reefs and corals, fish
I only dive once a night, so burn time is not a serious issues as a factor, I could live with 2-3 hours on a set of batteries...

I have a question on Kelvin scale and colors, there's a big difference in 2700k or 6000k color, 6k white should be stronger in terms of bulb/Led throw from 3-4k yellow light,
but in terms of true color.. what would bring most natural color of the reefs/fish ? yellow or white ?

then I need to choose a light.. around 100-150 usd,
thinking of Hollis LED6 but cant find much reviews of personals who've used it ..

what do you use ? (if that's in my range :wink: )
could you recommend anything else then Hollis, brands doesn't matter much, only performance. now I cant test any .. so im ordering online.. blind.

Thanks for the help :wink:
tom.

I'm not sure about the technical aspect of your question but Dive Right In Scuba has a very nice "backup" light, which comes in 500 and 1,000 lumens. It's a very nice light and the 1,000 lumens is more than adequate for night dives. Make sure you always have a second light, just in case!
These are called backup lights because they are used for backup in case of can light failure by cave and technical divers. But, they are very adequate as a primary for recreational night dives.
I think somebody has even come up with a Goodman style handle that they were selling on SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom