Rec Diving a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HKGuns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The pony thread got me to thinking, not sure if this belongs here or in Basic and I didn't want to hijack the recent pony thread.

Let's say I'm REC diving a Pony with a buddy. Can I ditch the OCTO, use the pony as the safe second and streamline my REC setup a bit?

Pretty sure I know how most will respond, but curious for the input regardless.

The pony thread got me to thinking, not sure if this belongs here or in Basic and I didn't want to hijack the recent pony thread.

Let's say I'm REC diving a Pony with a buddy. Can I ditch the OCTO, use the pony as the safe second and streamline my REC setup a bit?

I'm not a fan of that idea. I like to dive the same rig consistently and since I don't dive solo 100% of the time I want to always have a safe 2nd available. Personally I still have 2 2nd stages plus my pony.

I'm not a fan of that idea. I like to dive the same rig consistently and since I don't dive solo 100% of the time I want to always have a safe 2nd available. Personally I still have 2 2nd stages plus my pony.

I sling my pony. While I carry it primarily for my own backup, one of the advantages to me, is the ability to hand it off if the situation requires it. I then have a regular rig with an AAS for me or another diver if necessary.

SDI Solo Course recommends getting rid of the extra octo. But, I can see JD's point. If I were doing mostly buddy diving and occasional solo diving I think I might keep the extra 2nd stage. Since I only dive solo I got rid of the extra 2nd.

Another thing to consider - if I give someone my pony because they are OOA or are in other trouble we are both going directly to the surface. Almost no chance that someone else is going to need an octo from me.

I prefer as streamlined and stripped down a kit as I can safely dive.

when diving with a pony, you should only have one second stage on each post. Any extra can cause undue confusion during a gas share incident.

Can you clarify? Are you saying no OCTO?

When I first started with a pony I used it as the OOG reg. Within a year I had fitted a secondary to my main cylinder, as I realised the pony was for me (the reg isn’t in the triangle, but my octopus is).

That's exactly what I've done. I make it a point to dive the exact same configuration whether solo or with a buddy. One less hose to offset the Christmas tree I've become.

Another advantage of the pony is that if I have to share air with a panicked buddy, he's not sucking my air supply to zero, and our chances of making it to the surface are improved.

when diving with a pony, you should only have one second stage on each post. Any extra can cause undue confusion during a gas share incident.

I disagree.

I dive a long hose primary. If I happen to have my pony and someone has an OOO incident they get my primary. My backup is right under my chin. Not sure how that's confusing. The fact that I've also got a slung AL40 is irrelevant if some else has gone OOO.

Back
Top Bottom