Rebrether training in southeast asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andibk

Contributor
Reaction score
List,
Does anybody know of anybody teaching courses with the MK15, MK15.5 or MK16 in southeast Asia?? I do live in Thailand and can travel if the distance isn't to far.
Can anybody tell me the difference between these units and which one is suppose to be the nicest unit?
Is it still possible to get parts for these units? I do know Peter Ready used to work this these units but I think he is working with mostly the Prism Topaz.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

one Scubaboarder just took delievery of a MK15 recently, there are a whole bunch of links in that thread 'My very first rebreather'.

If you use the search function (MK15) you'll find plenty of threads in regards to the rigs, including one where Shas Ready, Peter's wife, explained the differences between the three.

Personally, unless you're a collector, I find the MK15.5 the most tempting, as it has the MK16's upgraded breathing loop in the MK15's smaller housing.
You're right, Steam Machines doesn't do many MKs anymore, but look at the tread above for links. They still have a few spares on their website for sale, and Peter sure knows those rigs.

He let me dive a MK16 earlier this year, a cool experience diving such a legendary RB. Also made me realize I wouldn't want one. Breathing isn't close to the comfort modern rigs like the Prism or Inspiration offer. Old out-dated electronics. No power switch, open battery housing and plug/unplug.

Parts are hard to come by, some downright impossible, and usually very expensive. The used RBs themselves aren't cheap either. Even if you get one as for little or no money it can turn into a pit getting it into the water and/or keeping it there.

Out of curiosity, why are you looking at a MK rather than a current (civilian) production unit?

Stefan

Oh, about training, IANTD has (the only afaik) searchable data base on their website, by name, location and/or certification.

Back
Top Bottom