"Rebreathers Simplified" by Dr. Mel Clark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curt McNamee

Contributor
Reaction score
If you ever wanted to learn about rebreathers, you now have a great way to learn.

A new book is just becoming available called:

"Rebreathers Simplified"

"A Complete Guide to Choosing, Understanding and Diving a Closed Circuit Rebreather"

By Dr. Mel Clark

This manual is over 300 color pages of great information on rebreathers. If you are just interested in learning about rebreathers or getting ready for a class, this manual will help you get up to speed on what it is all about.

A small supply will be available at DEMA at the Shearwater Booth, come buy and take a look. The Main printing run will be finished in the near future.

Click on this attachment for a Cover shot and Bio on the Author

Attachments

• CCR Manual Cover and Bio.pdf
    237.4 KB · Views: 1,534
Rebreathers Simplified

A Complete Guide to Choosing, Understanding and Diving a Closed Circuit Rebreather

Hi all,
I just wanted to spread the word about Mel Clark’s new CCR Book.
I had the pleasure to be one of the first one out there to receive a copy from Curt and I sunk my teeth into it right away.

This book is 312 pages thick and is geared towards the “newbie”, or I shall say the OC diver who is just about to switch over to CCR, wants to learn all there is out there in regards to rebreathers and in the end to make a selection with what system (eCCR or mCCR) and what rig to go with.

There is so much information in this book; I decided to just quickly list the Chapters:
(each chapter contains tons of sub-points and topics) The wealt is spreadin

Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Why bother?
Chapter 3: Rebreather Design and how it works
Chapter 4: Selecting the right CCR for you
Chapter 5: Generic Rebreather preparation and post dive steps
Chapter 6: CCR Skills
Chapter 7: Survival Operations
Chapter 8: Physiology
Chapter 9: Dive Planning

There is a huge Appendix section that contains for each rebreather following:
- Picture build check sheet
- Build check sheet
- Pre-dive check sheet
- Post dive check sheet

The appendix section looks like this:

Appendix 1 Evolution
Appendix 2 Inspiration
Appendix 3 KISS Classic
Appendix 4 KISS Sport
Appendix 5 Megalodon APECs
Appendix 6 Megalodon COPIS
Appendix 7 O2ptima FX
Appendix 8 Pelagian
Appendix 9 rEvo
I have been told that with arrivals of new CCR models on the market the appendix section of that book will be periodically updated, in order to keep this book current.

The book is full of great color pictures and the appendix section has also tons of photographs with step by step pictures and descriptions.

I believe if a scuba diver who wants to get into CCR diving were to read this book front to back, he/she would have no problem in class, because when I compare this book with what was covered in the class room portion of my Sport KISS class, there is pretty much everything there, except the unit specific details.

Anyway, this is a great new book with tons of information, in addition to the book that Mel published last year (CCR Trimix Simplified).

If you want to know more, you can contact Mel and/or Curt directly:
Mel: scubagrunt (at) hotmail.com
Curt: flyingcash (at) gmail.com

Also, for all of you who are going to DEMA this coming week, Curt will have a limited amount of books on hand for sale at the Shearwater booth.

Happy reading,

RBN

Two threads merged and moved to a proper forum

Can somebody buy me this book at DEMA?

PLEASEEEEEEEE

Mania

Heres my review:

I was recently asked to review a new publication by Dr Mel Clark; aka Silent Scuba from Seattle, WA entitled ‘Rebreathers Simplified’. Aimed at the transitioning to CCR diver and the newbie CCR diver, its authors promise the book will help them ‘choose, understand and dive’ a rebreather whilst avoiding the pitfalls and expensive mistakes associated with unsound dive practices and ill-informed purchases. Well it’s about time methinks, as I can’t recall a single publication solely dedicated to rebreather diving other than boring old manufacturer and training manuals.

At first glance, the book looks rather appealing. 300 full size color pages with plenty of techie looking photos of Mel and her entourage, looking very cool wearing lots of black and donning numerous rebreathers of various types, both manual and electronic. Good job too, as this confirms that there is no manufacturer bias, no single minded instructor approach of ‘my way or the highway’ and no commercial promotion. The book is divided into 9 chapters plus appendices; each designed to guide you through the labrynth that is Closed Circuit Rebreather diving:

1) Introduction
2) Why Bother
3) Rebreather Design
4) Selecting the right CCR
5) Universal CCR pre & post dive
6) CCR Skills
7) Survival Operations
8) Physiology
9) Dive Planning
Appendices (Evo, Inspo, Kiss Sport & Classic, Megalodon APEC’s & COPIS, O2ptima Fx, Pelagian & rEvo) build, pre & post dive check sheets

After the usual introductions, the book gets into my favorite chapter ‘why bother.’ In my ‘doubting, suspicious, open circuit dive professional’ days, I often asked this question of my CCR peers, often with an unclear and unconvincing response. Mel spells it out very clearly here, and it is a theme that is consistent throughout the book. She takes the time to not only explain how, but also why. This is of utmost importance to me if you want me to strap something on my back that can kill me in 30ft of water.
The various designs are discussed, not surprisingly in the chapter ‘rebreather design’ and ‘selecting the right CCR’ and I was surprised again to see no bias, just the facts. Its not hard to tell which Mel prefers of course, but nonetheless if you have already taken the plunge you wont be left seething in disagreement as she rips apart your $10,000 purchase.

The only area I could possibly criticize, would be perhaps a bit of jumping around between what could be described as ‘tech’ or ‘advanced’ information with ‘recreational’ or non mixed-gas practices. This isn’t really the fault of the author however, and you could argue that it applies to CCR diving in general. How do you discuss bailout valves and full-face mask flood drills with someone to has only previously dived on a single tank, open circuit? Surely this all makes more sense to someone who has at least done some OC tech diving? Im glad it does go into a bit more depth though, as it all adds to the interest and value of the information presented.

The build, pre and post dive check lists for multiple units are a neat feature and will make the book appealing and relevant to a wide audience. It leaves you wondering just how many rebreathers this woman owns, teaches and how she can possibly afford them all. I hope the book will help her offset the investment and I’m sure it will become a ‘you must have’ publication for the students of many an instructor. It will also appeal to experienced divers as an interesting and entertaining read. If nothing else, you can check what your instructor told you:

You can catch a glimpse of it at DEMA with copies available shortly afterwards from stocking dealers or direct from Curtis McNamee at flyingcash@gmail.com

You can order a copy from Curt directly, just drop him an e-mail.

flyingcash@gmail.com

cheers,
RBN

I sent the email but as you knkow I'm living in Poland so I don't know whether she would be willing to send it via normal post to Poland.

But many thanks for a tip.

Mania

i bought hubby this book at last years DEMA..... has it been revised/updated since that version??

cheers

i bought hubby this book at last years DEMA..... has it been revised/updated since that version??

cheers

The book you purchased at DEMA last year was the newly released "CCR Trimix Simplified" by Dr Mel Clark.

This book is totally different, is called "Rebreathers Simplified" and is geared towards people that want to learn about rebreathers, want to be educated about the selection available and are getting ready for a CCR Class.

I will have 30 copies available at the Shearwater Booth.

I sent the email but as you knkow I'm living in Poland so I don't know whether she would be willing to send it via normal post to Poland.

But many thanks for a tip.

Mania

I did get your email and no problem sending by USPS Priority International Mail.

Sincerely,

Curt

Curt
many thanks - let's see how long the package will go.

Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom