"rebreather friendly"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kierentec

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello,

My dive shop in St. Croix is in the infancy of starting a technical division. we are currently teaching PADI TecRec courses through Tec Trimix and sidemount, and are working towards becoming rebreather friendly. We are already pumping high pressure O2, have a vendor for sorb/cartriges, and are looking to purchase some cylinders. We are hoping to not have to stock any sorb, and just order it and have it available if we know we are going to have a CCR diver coming down (we are technically in the US, so shipping is actually fairly quick). Not being a CCR diver myself, and not having any currently on staff, my only concern is which cylinders to order. I know every diver has their preference, however I was wondering what would be the best all around CCR cylinders to have on hand? Also, is there anything else you would be looking for in a "rebreather friendly" destination (aside from unlimited bottom times, which we are willing to accomodate)? Any input would be greatly appreciated, as we are hoping to be as accomodating as possible to our CCR divers.

thanks!

go to rebreatherworld.com and post this same thing there, you'll get a lot more responses from them. Unfortunately the cylinder selection depends a fair amount on the actual rebreather, but you'd get a better response from them over there

Sorb aint that dear and lasts stored plenty long for pop in customers. Pita sending it ahead to destinations, gotta have some laying around

1,2,3,4, litre cylinders travel with units?

Steel 55's?

Long al 40's?

Plenty al 80's for offboard dil, bailout, and mix

So its plenty of al 80's that people need
and it's plenty of al 80's that shops got

DIN valves

Fishing rods

I think sorb is a must, it will keep for quite a while if you keep it closed up. Things I think you should also have for sale: spare O2 sensors, some kind of disinfectant (RelyOn™ Multi-Purpose Disinfectant Cleaner), some kind of electrical contact cleaner.
The shops I have used have 2,3L tanks with this type of DIN valve:
AP Diluent Rebreather Cylinder Valve RB13 -- AP Cylinders -- Diverswarehouse
They seem to be used by the Inspiration crowd, I dive a Meg and have only been diving w/ Meg and Inspiration divers. Might also be useful to have someone on staff that has a rebreather and likes to dive it. It's definitely more fun to dive in an all CCR group.

+4 on the sorb, not on the cartridges. Keeping a keg or 2 of 812 is no big deal, but it's a huge deal if you end up with 8 rebreather divers who didn't tell you they were coming and you can't get them in the water.

As far as cylinders go, When I decided to become a rebreather friendly liveaboard, I bought 2 sets of 13 cu ft aluminum and 2 sets of 19 cu ft aluminum, 2 sets of 2 liter and 2 sets of 3 liter Worthington cylinders. I had one set of inline valves (AP style) and one set of Thermo valves (standard right and lefts). As of now, the Worthingtons are all gone, they don't fit inside an inspo/evo case, and the aluminums were never filled, and are used as ponies. What works are steels from Blue Steel in 2 and 3 liter. These are faber cylinders rated at 3442 PSI, but don't pump the O2 over 3000. O2 is very squirrely between 3,000 and 3500 PSI. I have mostly inline valves, but kept all of the thermos in case I get a Megladon diver.

Bud at Blue Steel will make you a dealer if you aren't one, and his valves (the inline AP-style valves) work just as well as the ones you get from Silent Diving at about 2/3rds the cost.

PS. The only reason to have the aluminum cylinders is for Revo's. Revo's are quite negatively buoyant, and for warm water diving the aluminum cylinders are more popular than steel cylinders.

Good Question:

Friendly:
  • Extendair Cartridges/Sofnolime
  • 13s/2L/3L DIN Valved Tanks
  • Rely-on
  • Contact Cleaner
  • Capability to boost O2 to 3,000psi
  • 40cu/ft bottles + regs for Bailout/Deco
Extra Friendly:
  • Banked Gas or Continuous Blending
  • Capability to make Trimix
  • AL80's for offboard gas
Super-Extra Friendly:
  • Long Runtimes on Boat Dives!
  • Place to setup the rebreather not incumbered by tank holders

And let me add to HIGHwing's comment, in the Super extra friendly category, a few (don't go overboard) O2 cells for those who forget/use all of theirs, and a spare battery for Shearwater/VR3/Vyper/etc.

I missed O2 cells, yup you gotta have those due to the potential I'll have one damaged in transport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom