Reasonable jacket style BCD and reg set for teaching?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just want to add a little....

I did the above for two different shops. I left the first shop after they switched agencies and adopted the marketing suggestions of the owner of the agency.

They were told to focus their retail marketing on target pieces of merchandise that would bring the highest profit margin. They were to identify a BCD, fins, regulator set, computer--everything but the mask--that they would call their pro package and do everything they could to get students to buy those specific items.

The key people in this effort were the instructors. They were to purchase (at a discount) the entire pro package, and they had to wear that gear whenever they were in the presence of students. It was called their "instructor uniform." Not only that, they were to tell the students that they had chosen to purchase that gear because it was the very best, and as instructors they demanded the very best. Even though the BP/W (etc.) that I used in my own diving was sold by the shop and even on display, I would not have been allowed to tell students I used it if I had stayed. I would have had to tell them that I used the Aqualung Slingshot fins and the Cobra III computer because they were the best, even though I wouldn't dream of using them in real life.
That's the other extreme - equally BS.

I just want to add a little....

I did the above for two different shops. I left the first shop after they switched agencies and adopted the marketing suggestions of the owner of the agency.

They were told to focus their retail marketing on target pieces of merchandise that would bring the highest profit margin. They were to identify a BCD, fins, regulator set, computer--everything but the mask--that they would call their pro package and do everything they could to get students to buy those specific items.

The key people in this effort were the instructors. They were to purchase (at a discount) the entire pro package, and they had to wear that gear whenever they were in the presence of students. It was called their "instructor uniform." Not only that, they were to tell the students that they had chosen to purchase that gear because it was the very best, and as instructors they demanded the very best
. Even though the BP/W (etc.) that I used in my own diving was sold by the shop and even on display, I would not have been allowed to tell students I used it if I had stayed. I would have had to tell them that I used the Aqualung Slingshot fins and the Cobra III computer because they were the best, even though I wouldn't dream of using them in real life.
I do agree this shop's tactic is dirty. However, I do see the advantage of instructor using the same gears as rental (what students will be using) in OW class. Remember, OW students start from zero. So it is good to be able to see instructor operating the same gear. It is also benefitable for instructor to know how to operate student's gears. To do that, they have also have experience with that gear, right?

If I recall my OW class, wow, 14 years ago, instructors did use same gear as rental in all pool sessions. In OW ocean session, instructors are in their own gears. When we see the more fancy gears, it did trigger many questions by student. They gave us a rundown of their gears. I think it was a good experience. Even if I were to start fresh again, I still think this setup is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom