Really, Really unhappy with DUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred R.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,
I purchased a DUI TLS350 custom suit at DEMA. As a dealer and active diver, DUI sold me the suit direct. It was supposed to be a custom suit, and they spent almost an hour taking my measurements.

When I got the suit, I have to question whose measurements they used, because the suit did not fit as well as my four other 'off the rack' suits from other companies.

What took me over the top today; I need to replace the zip seals, again.

DUI refused to take my order, telling me I now had to buy from an 'authorized dealer'. After spending a couple of hours on the phone trying to find a dealer with stock available, I called them back. This time, they gave me the name of a dealer who had it in stock.

I am very disappointed with DUI and their lack of customer service

Hi Fred,

I am very sorry to hear you are unhappy with DUI at the moment. I can understand your frustration at searching for what you need for an hour and not being able to find it. I'm not sure of the exact circumstances, but I do apologize that you were put in that position.

In regards to the zipseals, we do need to support our dealers (the dive shop) to have the purchases go through them. Dive stores need the business in order to stay open and still provide dive assistance for years to come. Especially in these times.

DEMA sales are handled a little differently as they are for dive industry personnel only and we have special show offers. We were not at DEMA last year, so I assume your sale must have taken place at least 2 years ago.

In regards to the fit of our suit. Upon, my initial research, I was unable to find the record of your sale through Grand Bahama Scuba. I would need more information from you before I can research your concern more. I definitely would like the opportunity to assist you further in helping you with the fit of your suit and addressing your unahappiness with DUI. We strive at providing fantastic customer service and don't like anyone leaving us feeling like they have gotten less than that.

Please contact me directly and we can work together to remedy the situation.

Thank you,

Jessica
jessica@dui-online.com

Jessica,

You seem to miss the point;
First, I am a dealer. I have spent literally hundreds of thousands of dollars on various lines and by forcing me to go to another dealer, you are in effect telling me to go to one of my competitors to buy what I need.
Second, I am in the Bahamas. Calling DUI is an international phone call, as is calling around to all the various so called DUI dealers who don't seem to have stock.
Third, when I find a 'dealer' with the stock I need, I am probably not dealing with someone who has the slightest idea as to how to ship merchandise internationally, which is a major issue that causes delays, further frustration and at worst has caused the sort of audit you get in your country from the IRS. The Bahamas government uses import duty to fund the country and when someone makes mistakes on the forms it can cause weeks of hassle and gives the auditors the right to inspect every item and import going back to the original launch of the company.

Getting back to the Bahamas; I run a dive company, in the Bahamas. There is no good reason for me to carry dry suit stock. I am probably the only person in my country who dives in a drysuit doing on average 250 dry dives a year from Thanksgiving to Mother's Day, along with 10-12 clients each dive. Because many of them have not seen a drysuit in action before, the discussion during each surface interval always touches upon the various aspects of diving dry. Due to my experiences with DUI, I cannot recommend the company or the products.

As to contacting you directly, see above. I am in the Bahamas, have not gotten satisfaction in the past two years from DUI and according to you in your last post, you can't even find my records.

Jessica,

Second, I am in the Bahamas. Calling DUI is an international phone call, as is calling around to all the various so called DUI dealers who don't seem to have stock.

Hi Fred,

I am sorry to hear of your continued frustration. Although, I was trying to assist you, it seems as though I only accomplished getting you more frustrated.

I understand the international call situation. I was requesting a direct contact via email jessica@dui-online.com so that I could ask you your last name as our records are organized by last name. I did not want to ask you to display your last name on ScubaBoard for privacy reasons. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

That being said, I was able to find you and see that your suit was purchased in October2008. I also tracked down your original inquiry to a DUI represenative which came in as a direct email to her inquiring about how you should go about purchasing new seals for your suit.

I do know of a DUI dealer that is custom to shipping to the Bahamas and has your item in stock. It does not sound like that is the solution you are looking for though. Please email me directly at jessica@dui-online.com so that we can come to a solution that will still satisfy your needs. Additionally, this will allow us to further discuss your fit concerns.

Thank you again. I appreciate you voicing your concerns. As I mentioned previously, we continue to strive for fantastic customer service and we can only attain that by having customers voice when they are dissatisfied.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you Fred.

Jessica
DUI
jessica@dui-online.com

vshearer;

Thank you for providing a perfect example of why I would prefer to deal directly with the manufacturing company instead of some dive shop. There is at least a presumption the manufacturing company has someone in the shipping department who knows something about international concerns.

Like many small countries, the Bahamas has a phone company with a government mandated monopoly. Using other services is a crime. There is a reward offered for turning in people who use alternate services.

Court cases can take months to years to get before a judge. I have to renew my work visa annually. Having ANY legal issue can result in cancellation of my visa and my removal from the country.

So, by suggesting SKYPE, in a public forum, you are asking me to risk my job, my house, my friends; the whole thing we call a 'life' that I have built over the last 28 years.

First, let me say that I am not a drysuit diver, but am entertaining the idea of attending a DUI demo event and trying their products. Your post caught my eye as aftersale service is most important.
Reading the posts has lead me to the conclusion your anger is due to DUI not selling direct to you. Why didn't you just call back and say you spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find a DUI dealer who stocked this item, and would they consider selling to you because of where you reside? I am sure that, that would have been taken into consideration. Instead you were rude. Now, it's gone from being unable to purchase seals to having a 2 year old problem with the suit you purchased. If I had purchased something for alot of cash and there was a problem with it, I surely wouldn't wait 2 years to bring it to their attention. I am not defending DUI, but you have to take some responsibility here too. If I purchased a custom suit that was ill fitting, they'd hear from me immediately, not after diving it for 2 years.
I know of several people that dive DUI suits, and have heard nothing but positive things about their after sale service. I'm sure there is more to this story, but I'll leave it where it lies. I'm still going to attend one of their events, so I'll get my answers first hand. It looks as if they are willing to work with you on your 2 year old problem. Will be interesting to hear the results.

My thought is that I would be 'really, really unhappy' with the repressive Bahamian laws and regulations that preclude you from using Skype or VoIP communications.

Appears that DUI is striving to resolve your problem. Suggest changing the name of your thread to something less bombastic!

Interesting thread!

Last edited:
I am very disappointed with DUI and their lack of customer service

I don't know about their customer service, other than what I hear (which isn't encouraging). I have owned two DUI suits and have had poor wearability out of them largely attributable to poor workmanship. I won't buy another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom