Real strong continuous lights or strobes.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy folks-

I'm hoping to do both videography and photography. Well, strobes obviously aren't going to do much good for videography, so I'm wondering about continuous light for photos.

I know it'd have to be a hell of an intense light. But what about a rig like this for photos too?
full?d=1531696546.jpg

@Bobby has put out some good info on those using his video lights for photography.
Strobe vs Video Light for Still Photography | Underwater Light Dude

basically, strobes will always be brighter, but obviously useless for video. If you choose to spend more time on videography, then I would use video lights. They'll make your pictures better, just not as good as a strobe. Keep in mind the person who wrote the article is a professional u/w photographer

And if you bump up to those badass 33,000 lumen lights, you are starting to cook with bacon grease.

And if you bump up to those badass 33,000 lumen lights, you are starting to cook with bacon grease.
for about a minute or two, then they drop back down to reasonable outputs. Big Blue lights average about half of their claimed output during their burn on high. 16,000 is still a mc****ton of output, just make sure you're comparing apples to apples when buying because the price/burntime/output they claim is very much too good to be true.

@Bobby has put out some good info on those using his video lights for photography.
Strobe vs Video Light for Still Photography | Underwater Light Dude

basically, strobes will always be brighter, but obviously useless for video. If you choose to spend more time on videography, then I would use video lights. They'll make your pictures better, just not as good as a strobe. Keep in mind the person who wrote the article is a professional u/w photographer
Thanks! Will check it out.

you may get enough light but a lot of things that can, will swim off if you shine something that bright on them, the guy is testing them in a cave so shooting rock and other divers.

I was on a liveaboard with a guy with really bright video lights and no strobe. I ended up avoiding night dives because it was so obnoxious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom