Real DIR vs Internet DIR--my personal story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
Real DIR verses Internet DIR.

At this point I would consider myself an extremely new DIR curious diver. I have been certified just over a year. I spent a lot of time reading on the boards before I became certified. I was aware of DIR, but turned off by the endless Internet arguing. I just wanted to be a good diver!

I have since learned that there is a tremendous disconnect between progressing toward or being a DIR and Internet DIR forum threads. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to start learning the difference. I have more to learn and look forward to it.

I plugged along happily in my jacket gear so excited that I had finally taken the plunge! My only regret that I hadn’t been certified years earlier. I was at the lake every chance I could get and willing to dive with anyone who would let me tag along. I was having the time of my life. Some bumps along the way—but I was diving and all was well so I thought.

One day I was at the lake with some divers. One of them way a shop employee, rescue diver and also on the county dive team. We talked about taking the next step and taking diving to the next level—deeper! Here is a link to the story of what happened to me. It was all the time I spent reading on Scuba Board along with my limited training that help a very very new diver make it to the surface—upset but ok. New diver 106’ deep and you signal trouble and your buddies wave bye bye and swim deeper and leave you is a bad place to be.
http://www.singledivers.com/surfaceinterval/index.php?showtopic=10755

It was at that time that Perrone Ford and TsandM reached out to me via the Internet and began sharing with me information about real DIR and team diving. I can’t tell you how many times I have called on Perrone at all times of the day and night to answer my endless questions. And others like them who have been willing to help me understand why DIR divers do what they do.

Certainly one can dive without being a DIR and have both a great and safe time. The appeal to me of DIR is the concept of thinking and planning ahead and limiting problems before they happen and having the skills to deal with them when they do.

This is much the way I approach my everyday life. I am prepared to take care of myself if the power, water, gas and all other utilities are cut from my house in the event of an emergency. In fact, winter before last when it was cold and we were without power—30 minutes after it went I was drinking hot tea. It could have been sooner I just didn’t want to go out in the cold shed to bring in the gear.

I had one fellow to be kind enough to film himself doing a kick I had a question about. Others have taken time to point me to resources on the web and in print that have both made me question things as well as broadened my understanding.

My gear is not completely DIR compliant at the moment. If you read past threads you will see up until recently I was diving with Scuba Pro twin jets. And I have a swivel on my reg. This hasn’t been a sticking point for the few folks that are DIR that I have been diving with. I don’t need them to say my gear meets the standard when it doesn’t. I can still learn and progress toward the goal of learning the system. I have recently after doing a bunch of pool work and rehab on my hip sworn off of the twins and am now using plain jets. I am sure one that that swivel will go.
But in the mean time, the DIR folks have been helping me understand how to have great buoyancy, trim, weighting, kicks, gas management, situational awareness, team skills, underwater recovery skills. All this—and I have so much work to do in these areas has resulted in me enjoying my dives more and enjoying those I dive with more.

Some of the sincere questions folks have posted have been helpful to me as well when they have been met with sincere informative answers. I do not see this as often as I would like and think argumentative answers in fact violate the core DIR philosophy. It is supposed to for the thinking diver and a thinking diver can tell you in a non combative way why he does or does not do something.

I cannot hover all the time at will, but I have moments that are close to be great. A dive or two ago I just rested in the water as two large channel catfish spent some time letting me watch them. I hovered as some brim swam close about me and used me for cover as I just hung in the water.

For all those DIR people who steer clear of the endless arguments and take time to help real people like me, with real diving issues, I thank you for taking an interest in me and helping me to become a better diver. One day I hope that will happen. I have improved with your help to some degree and am mindful of areas that I can improve. And with your help I have tools to move in that direction.

Sincerely,
Leah
Considered noob by any agency standard or non standard
Hopefully considered a willing learner moving toward improvement by any standard

Henry,
Here is the plan. I have the Deep Dixie DIR Divas formed--just 3 of us right now. We have a couple of HOG people and a couple of DIR folks that are willing to dive with the Divas. We are going to work on our rigs and buoyancy.

Then we are going to start taking BBQ to the ramp--that sauce is salty and makes you drink more Kool-aid!

Once I get a few more people interested, I will either plan a group trip to FL to take fundies or we will bring someone up this way.

Right now my focus is on finding mentors for our group. and finding some more divers so we can add Dudes to the end of the tag line! LOL

Great post Leah.... I'm sure you'll get there eventually... just have patience and stick with it....

UnderSeaBumbleBee:
Right now my focus is on finding mentors for our group. and finding some more divers so we can add Dudes to the end of the tag line! LOL

That would make 5 Ds.... I think that name is taken already :wink:

nice story. i was almost "sold" (in a good sense) on taking gue-f until i've read in their 60-smth pages of standards that smokers can't take it. hmmm, well, i'll save $550 bucks; actually i'll spend it on NAUI class. I appreciate their attention to skill perfection and planning and all the rest (i think all agencies should do that) but i don't think one needs to be dir to do all these. a lot of the rigid standards they have came from tech diving and if i'm not going to do any tech diving, i don't see the need to follow all the rules even though all these rules can be explained logically for a specific situation. i believe not all cave and tech divers are dir - correct me if i'm wrong.

Mikhail Frenkel:
i believe not all cave and tech divers are dir - correct me if i'm wrong.
DIR tech/cave divers would be the minority in the respective communities.

After reading the thread about your buddies leaving you @ 106' I can certainly understand your desire to find a better way to dive. I would be furious over something like that.

Leah, thank you for your post. :) You've expressed what I hope to see happen with myself as well, being DIR-curious and just finding myself having to shrug off the internet stuff. I feel more at a disadvantage due to not having anyone accessible around, but have already had several invitations from good people here to join them next time I am in their area, which I definitely will take them up on.

Could someone help me out and explain what DIR stands for? As far as diving in the lake, I am a new diver and always looking to practice my skills with someone more experienced than I.

Brad

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom