Real BP question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
Can an aluminum BP be re-bent, or is it a one shot deal?

Evad,

Your plate, unless made of a very brittle type of aluminum, should be able to be re-bent. Much depends upon the stress of the original bend. If it's not a very sharp bend you should be OK.

the K

Thanks. It's not a sharp bend, but I want to make it sharper. I tried it with a small break without success. How can I visually ascertain the stress on the original bend? Should I just take it to the Chinese metal fabricators across the street and see what happens?

I know with some processes, such as forging, you can remove the work stress in a metal through annealing (heat it up and quench it) I am not sure if this would help with Aluminum. It has to be heated to red hot for steel/iron but again, I haven't worked with aluminum in this manner.

http://www.eskimo.com/~smallnet/JoeArticles/AlLandGear.html

Hardened aluminum can be temporarily annealed by heating it to about 500 degrees F, and quickly quenching it with cold water. It will then remain soft for between a few hours and a couple of days (depending on how hot the weather is); gradually regaining its original hardness. (To speed up the re-hardening, you can re-heat the aluminum in boiling water or a 250-degree oven for a half hour or so.)

Back
Top Bottom