?? re the science behind water feeling colder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have frequently heard/read statements like "water takes your body heat ## times faster than air". With different values in place of ##.
(This is explaining why you get colder, faster in 70 degree water than in 70 degree air.) Based on experience, I agree.

What I can't seem to find is a definitive/complete/scientific answer that explains "why" this is true.
Most of the explanations I have found are short, and consist of of statements like:

"The density of air is much lower than the density of water or the human body, and as such, the heat loss in air is less"

and/or

"Air is a poor heat transferring mechanism-so poor that it is the air gaps in insulation that helps it to work"

and/or

" The mechanism for heat exchange in air is radiation, whereas the mechanism in water is conduction, which works better"

I follow the logic of all three, but I can't find a source to confirm, expand upon, or refute any of these. Perhaps I'm a bad "searcher"?? :)

Can anyone provide/or link to a deeper explanation?

Also, what is that ##-the value for "how many times faster does water removes heat from your body , compared to air of the same temp." I have heard several factors- ranging from 5 to 80.
Thanks in advance.

All's I know fer shure is that I get colder a hell of a lot faster in 50 degree water than I do in 50 degree air. That's enough 'splaining for this old Dude.

Back
Top Bottom