Re-shrink-wrap HID nimh Batteries??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Yes, I did flood my Salvo canister (couple of inches of fresh water in the bottom). So, per Cory, I cut off the shrink-wrap and dried it out.

Sure enough, it works again!! :D

Does anyone know the best way to re-shrink-wrap the batteries? Salvo does a double wrap to help keep water out, and I know the batteries can heat up on re-charge.

Suggestions?

Also, what's wrong with this idea?

Someone suggested to me that I coat (dip) the battery pack in a thin layer of liquid rubber. Keeps the batteries together and makes them waterproof, too.

Humm... then there's the heat issue. ??

Don't think I would try the dipping idea, just doesn't sound right. Also there might be an issue of venting. If the battery can't vent, usually during charging, then it could explode.

Electical supply house would probably be your best bet for shrink wrap. Or possibly someplace that sells remote control cars, not the cheap one.

Rick Inman:
Yes, I did flood my Salvo canister (couple of inches of fresh water in the bottom). So, per Cory, I cut off the shrink-wrap and dried it out.

Sure enough, it works again!! :D

Does anyone know the best way to re-shrink-wrap the batteries? Salvo does a double wrap to help keep water out, and I know the batteries can heat up on re-charge.

Suggestions?

Shrinkwrap in the larger sizes for batteries:
http://www.nyblimp.com/cs.htm

I ended up taking it to Batteries Plus, and they did a bang-up job for $4.00. It's as good as new.

Good link, though!

Yeap... Batteryspace also has it.. It is a cheap enough to get. I think the shipping is more than an actual item price...:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom