Re: Mares Icon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I just received the Mares Icon BCD.

Was rated as favorite "travel BCD" by Scuba Diving Magazine in the May 2008 issue.

Folds up nice and convenient. Very sharp looking and robust in appearance.

Has no cumberbund but has what seems to be a very secure waist closure. It has only 1 tank band. I don't like that.

Also, I found only one "roll down" pocket for carrying things. Has some other unusual features I haven't figured out yet. Are there any other pockets I might have missed?

I have eliminated the Zeagle Escape because it has tiny pockets and few D rings and thought it was overpriced anyway.

I am now choosing between the Mares Icon and the Sherwood Avid. Both have same type of weight system and trim bags in back. Sherwood has double tank bands. Both have 3 dump valves in the same locations.

The latter has large pockets and lots of other features. The Mares is a "demo" model ($350) and the Sherwood is on sale for $265.

Any comments or tips on the Mares Icon?

Thanks

Hi sytech,

Thanks for asking. The Icon is actually quite a different bcd than the Avid. The Icon is 100% back inflation while the Avid is more of a traditional jacket style. Not that one is better than the other, it simply comes down to personal preference. Most will find the back inflate bcds to be less cumbersome and lower profile in the water. The Icon has 4 dumps not three. Two are on the inflator hose, 1 at each end (top valve is activated by pulling the corrugated hose). The Icon has two tank straps 1 main strap on the bottom and 1 stabilizer strap at the top. It does have the one pocket, but due to the fact it rolls down it actually stores a good amount of things, as well as it being quite easy to access and use. Of course the bcd is light and folds up nicely for travel. The Icon has apprx 45 lbs of lift in all sizes. Icon has 13lbs weight capacity in each of the two ditchable weight pockets, and upto 10lbs in the nonditchable pockets. It also has extra cushion in the back for greater comfort and a padded rolled collar which is very nice for warm water diving, when wearing light weight thermal protection. Two position chest strap, and self compensating waist strap (elastic material built in). All in all the Icon is an incredibly nice bcd, and if you can get that demo, I think you are walking away with a quite a bargain. Listed below are a couple of links to review or feedback about the Icon.

Good luck!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mares-just-add-water/228769-review-mares-icon-bcd-very-happy.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...08548-travel-bc-vs-std-bc-regular-diving.html

Ok Zak, you make some good points and I will reconsider so you'll be getting more questions from me.

If it's "back inflation" does that mean I probably would need ballst weights in the rear? I have had a Cressi-Sub Aqualight-R for several years and as you probably know is a lightwight travel BCD.

It is ABSOLUTELY SUPERB in all respects except 1 very important one-Those dopey gravity-drop pockets tend to loosen a bit even when using less than the 6.6 lbs.- max weight for each pocket. Last year I foolishly was overweighted (about 10 lbs. in each pocket) and one lost all the weights but fortunately I was near the surface anyway.

If Cressi had only made the top of the pocket wider that couldn't happen. Oh well, gives me the oppurtunity to get a new BCD.

I also own a Mares Proton V-16 & regs. and am considering getting a new set of these.

I like the compactness (the regs., not the 1st. Stage which is quite heavy) and easy breathing. Which model would you recommend for a warm water diver like myself and why?

I am thinking of getting a type with the integrated inflater/reg together ("safe second" I think they're called) meaning one less hose.
I get the impression that these "safe second" rigs were controversial several years ago but are now a mainstream and widely accepted product. Do you agree and if so which model can you recommend.

"I vill be beck"

Thanks,

Sy

Hi sytech,

Thanks for asking. The Icon is actually quite a different bcd than the Avid. The Icon is 100% back inflation while the Avid is more of a traditional jacket style. Not that one is better than the other, it simply comes down to personal preference. Most will find the back inflate bcds to be less cumbersome and lower profile in the water. The Icon has 4 dumps not three. Two are on the inflator hose, 1 at each end (top valve is activated by pulling the corrugated hose). The Icon has two tank straps 1 main strap on the bottom and 1 stabilizer strap at the top. It does have the one pocket, but due to the fact it rolls down it actually stores a good amount of things, as well as it being quite easy to access and use. Of course the bcd is light and folds up nicely for travel. The Icon has apprx 45 lbs of lift in all sizes. Icon has 13lbs weight capacity in each of the two ditchable weight pockets, and upto 10lbs in the nonditchable pockets. It also has extra cushion in the back for greater comfort and a padded rolled collar which is very nice for warm water diving, when wearing light weight thermal protection. Two position chest strap, and self compensating waist strap (elastic material built in). All in all the Icon is an incredibly nice bcd, and if you can get that demo, I think you are walking away with a quite a bargain. Listed below are a couple of links to review or feedback about the Icon.

Good luck!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mares-just-add-water/228769-review-mares-icon-bcd-very-happy.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...08548-travel-bc-vs-std-bc-regular-diving.html

Just to add a few comments... The mares BCDs only use one tank strap... but they hold very very well!!! I've never had one slip on me yet and I don't even take the time to wet the strap!

As far as regs go, if money is no object and you want a light travel reg, go for the V42 proton metal!!! One sweet and light reg! I'd love to get one, but honnestly, my V16 proton simply works flawlessly and I can't justify replacing it!!!:popcorn:

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

I appreciate your feedback.

Question: I sent away for some attachable pockets to try fitting to the Mares Icon because I think the 1 roll-down pocket on the Icon is very lame. That will give me an idea as to whether to keep the Icon or return it.

My Proton V-16 works flawlesslessly also and I love the size of the reg. (the 1st. stage is a bit bulky). I think that the Proton V42 Proton Metal must be awesome but is way over my price limit.

Thanks,

Sy

Just to add a few comments... The mares BCDs only use one tank strap... but they hold very very well!!! I've never had one slip on me yet and I don't even take the time to wet the strap!

As far as regs go, if money is no object and you want a light travel reg, go for the V42 proton metal!!! One sweet and light reg! I'd love to get one, but honnestly, my V16 proton simply works flawlessly and I can't justify replacing it!!!:popcorn:

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

So why change the V16 if it works great for your needs? Is the weight issue that important for your travels? Personally, I just love shiny new gadgets... But the $$ is a good deterent to buying a new reg! On day, maybe my reg will die on me (then again, maybe not!!:rofl3:) and that will be the day I buy a new mares reg! "Upgradeitis" is a very virulent disease, but with a lot of will power you can make it through it!!!!

Cheers!:coffee:

I appreciate your feedback.

Question: I sent away for some attachable pockets to try fitting to the Mares Icon because I think the 1 roll-down pocket on the Icon is very lame. That will give me an idea as to whether to keep the Icon or return it.

My Proton V-16 works flawlesslessly also and I love the size of the reg. (the 1st. stage is a bit bulky). I think that the Proton V42 Proton Metal must be awesome but is way over my price limit.

Thanks,

Sy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom