Re-forming foot pocket on Jet Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm stuck with an issue with Jet Fins.

I have a pair of XXL Jets and I've had to try and deal with the GIANT foot pocket that they have. I don't have a size 18 logging boot to wear to fill the foot pocket (that's what it would take) and they flop around something horrible, to the point where I can't use them anymore even though I think the blade design is outstanding.
I really like jets and I've tried everything to make an XL fit but the problem is the entrance to the pocket is too small even though the pocket itself would be fine to fit my size 12-13 average dive bootie. In other words the foot pocket on XL does not have enough flair to account for the rise in the top of my foot right before the tendon area on the top of the foot.

Supposedly Scubapro is dealing with this by introducing a new size that's in between the XL and the current XXL. The new size will be the new XXL, and the current XXL will become the new XXXL.
I've been waiting now to see this new fin for over a year which has been promised and nobody can tell me anything, so I'm giving up.

So anyway, I've decided to try and modify an XL Jet and make it work.
I'm wondering if anybody has had luck with trying to heat up and reform the foot pockets on Jet fins and had any luck. I'm thinking if they were heated up enough by first boiling them in water then heating them further with a very hot heat gun and then shoving a plaster filled dive bootie in them and then allow the fin to completely cool if this might reform the top outer bead to the entrance of the fin and retain the new shape?

As the XL's are now, I can kind of get my foot in with a size 12 slim bootie but the very thick and hard bead they put around the entrance really hurts the top of my foot.

Has anybody thought of this and tried it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old pair of USD Blades that use a removable piece of stiff (but bendable) plastic to form the foot pocket entrance. It fits inside the fin pocket, measures 5" x 8" when flat, and it's only purpose is to hold the foot pocket entrance open (and reduce friction) when slipping your bootie into the fin. I would think you could fab a similar device for your fins, perhaps out of a plastic milk container.

Let me know if you want a picture or sketch of what I'm trying to describe.

I have used very hot water at work and jammed Nalgene PE bottles in my freedive fin footpockets with limited success to make them wider top to bottom. I think it depends on how much it needs to expand to a different form. If it actually stretches/deforms much, it may weaken the footpocket at that point.

Supposedly Scubapro is dealing with this by introducing a new size that's in between the XL and the current XXL. The new size will be the new XXL, and the current XXL will become the new XXXL.
I've been waiting now to see this new fin for over a year which has been promised and nobody can tell me anything, so I'm giving up.

I believe the new size has been available for some time now. Some local divers have been using it for several months and reports are very positive. AWS in San Jose carries them, or you can check with your local shop and ask for part number #25.352.050. Rob Lee has some pictures posted somewhere of the foot pocket compared to the XL and turtles.

So anyway, I've decided to try and modify an XL Jet and make it work.
I'm wondering if anybody has had luck with trying to heat up and reform the foot pockets on Jet fins and had any luck. I'm thinking if they were heated up enough by first boiling them in water then heating them further with a very hot heat gun and then shoving a plaster filled dive bootie in them and then allow the fin to completely cool if this might reform the top outer bead to the entrance of the fin and retain the new shape?

Jet fins are molded from a thermoset rubber. They cannot be reheated and reshaped.

Thermoplastics can be reheated and reformed, thermosets, no.

Tobin

I believe the new size has been available for some time now. Some local divers have been using it for several months and reports are very positive. AWS in San Jose carries them, or you can check with your local shop and ask for part number #25.352.050. Rob Lee has some pictures posted somewhere of the foot pocket compared to the XL and turtles.

Thanks.
It sounds like I'm getting jerked around by my LDS once again (what else is new)
I may go down to Monterey this next weekend and I might stop by AWS and try them on. I'll call them first though.
Thanks for your input and help.

E

Jet fins are molded from a thermoset rubber. They cannot be reheated and reshaped.

Thermoplastics can be reheated and reformed, thermosets, no.

Tobin

OK, thanks. I was afraid of that.

Just curious, what would happen if they were heated up, would they just tear, or nothing would happen. Burn and desintegrate maybe?

OK, thanks. I was afraid of that.

Just curious, what would happen if they were heated up, would they just tear, or nothing would happen. Burn and desintegrate maybe?

The material will be damaged beyond use if you do succeed in getting it hot enough.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom