Rb80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

db8us

Reaction score
Just a few things:

Of course a RB80 can be used with a Draeger Oxygauge if you want to monitor your pO2. Most people do it at the beginning of their RB80 diving or for learning purposes. We also use it if we changed things like the ratio .This Oxygen-sensor-port ist standard on the RB80.
This has also just been copied !

About the swiss "copies":
Reinhard DID NOT threaten Michael Walz. They know each other since a long time and i also met Michael at the Chaudanne Cave and we had swiss cheese fondue with them that night.
Reinhard even helped him with some HID-stuff he was building at that time.
Reinhard just told him that he should be AWARE that he might run into problems, so this was more a friendly advice...nothing more, nothing less.
They did not put any brainwork into it, they just copied Olivier Rodels original RB80 after they completely took it apart. Even worse they did not understand all of it and used cheaper plastic materials on some parts because they did not know what the materials function was, like the teflon-coated alumnium.

About deco: Constant pO2 is NOT an advantage, especially when beeing deep for a while. This is "recreational-Nitrox-thinking".

If an outer bellows ruptures the unit floods. If an inner bellow would rupture you will hear the unit not adding gas and not venting and bail out.
We currently have 16 RB80 in the EKPP www.ekpp.org and so far never ever experienced any failure.

I still think it is one of the best breathers available and if some dudes want to use their ECCR thats also fine for me. We just do not want them to throw dirt on us....

To the breathing position: The unit is breathable also in caves like the Chaudanne were you descend head first in some passage and come up vertical.

To the general counter-lung design: We do not feel having the urge to go to OC after a 15hours on the loop. So the design can not be that bad.
Split over the should CL will cause a cluster when carrying much equipment.

Thats about it.
Michael

Nice to hear from you again.
Hope you don't mind a few more questions ... one one of which you raised.

As for the counterlung placement, is there an advantage to it?
By placing it below rather than on top of the scrubber. Have not yet seen an RB80 teardown, and without it I just can't come up with one ....

Who is Olivier Rodel? First time I hear that name in connection with the RB80, at least as far as I remember. His "original RB80", was that an OR80 he designed or his first Halcyon RB80 ?

As for the counterlung placement, is there an advantage to it?
By placing it below rather than on top of the scrubber. Have not yet seen an RB80 teardown, and without it I just can't come up with one ....
If you have a look at a diver in the water in scootering position,
you will notice that if you would pace it on his back where the scrubber ist it would be far above his lung-level.
The breathing is perfect where it is at the moment.
For shorter dives it would be easy to reduce the scrubber-size and move the lung upwards, but it just makes no sense...

Who is Olivier Rodel? First time I hear that name in connection with the RB80, at least as far as I remember. His "original RB80", was that an OR80 he designed or his first Halcyon RB80 ? [/B]
He bought a RB80 from Halcyon and did his course with Andrew Georgitsis. He then let the others copy from his original unit.

Michael

Then the counterlung placement is a specific design, and at that it succeds. That does make sense, even to me. :wink:

It also answers my thought on scrubber size ... when I talked about smaller size I thought of users other than deep/long penetration, such as photographers etc. .

About the copying, it's not the way to go. I imagine I'd be pretty upset about it, even though it'd be nice to have a less expensive unit with the same working principle. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks again for posting
:) Stefan

Trust me KentCe, it's not even close.

Back
Top Bottom