Razor 2 upgrade to 2.1 - am I missing something?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Razorista

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Over the last few weeks I had the chance to upgrade my Razor 2 to 2.1 after receiving the new triglide.
The new pouch is already used and repaired on my Razor and the longer neoprene wrapping for the backup inflation hose on the right shoulder strap was added more than a year ago.

I was really looking forward to having the bungee unencumbered by T-Weight System and BAT-Wing attachment and getting rid of the wing extension adapter webbing piece.

The T-Weight system now looses one position for weights I have not used for some time except when not using the hip-attachments for weights in a hurry and without any tools available (very rare occurrence).

I am a bit short in the torso to also attach the wing there however.
The dump-valve and inflation hose attachments are still at 'about navel height', so it stays 'according to the manual'.

The wing now reaches down to the lowest part of the crotch strap and even then it is not stretched out as flatly as before.
I never cared much for the legendary 'beachball-effect' the Razor is rumored to have, but what is there of it in reality looks to be more pronounced now.

The B-ring also attaches there, leading to equipment clipped to it tending to drop below the pouch and between the legs.

The backside hip-D-rings are mostly covered when the wing is not inflated, as are the DAPs mostly.

I do not mind those things much and could not find other important disadvantages.
Since I can actually reach the dump-valve more easily it is a little more comfortable in that regard also and I would like to keep it that way permanently.

Trim stayed absolutely unaffected since the weights moved down an inch while the wing moved down by about the same amount (and an inch of synchronized change is not much when using a drysuit - in my opinion).

I am not sure if I am missing something that will come back to haunt me during future education (I am not cave certified yet and plan to start on that in a year or two).

Is there something (especially regarding cave training) that should discourage me from getting used to wearing the wing that way?

Did I miss learning an important reason for wing position other than trim?

Are a cluttered B-Ring and covered hip-D-rings a 'no-go' for caves?
(I can manage all of it 'open water' just fine.)

I there anything else I have not thought of?

Back
Top Bottom