Raystown lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone here ever dive raystown lake? if so:

hows the visibility?
Find anything cool?
See any huge fish lol?

im just bored i guess, but i wanna dive it in the spring and figured i would see if anyone here has done it before.

Thanks

I wanted to dive it as well. A friend of mine with a boat told me it's like 250ft. As with most lakes I suspect that the viz is probably not too good.

It is locate near Altoona, PA. There are two local shops up there that can probably provide some info.

www.mikesscuba.com

www.scubaescapes.net

My buddy said that you should dive off a boat, however, shore dives should be okay.

One of the regulator technicians at my LDS used to dive it when he was preparing for the Doria back in the 90's. His two words were cold and dark.

there is a nice sketch a few posts down in this thread...
http://wreckvalley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=907

power%20station.jpg

this seems like a highly technical dive to me.

Been there many times, 38 degrees and 5-10 ft of viz.....Aw the fun times:)

Our Fire Company has a Dive Rescue/Recovery Team that is primary response to Lake Raystown. The times I've been there, it has been for recoveries of various things from bodies to trucks to cars, to a set of keys. Visibility usually is very poor <3' and it is almost always dark and COLD!

I have heard of recreational divers at the lake - and wonder myself where there are any "descent" sights at the lake with any kind of visibility. If anyone knows... I'd love to hear about a few good dives there.

co7RescueDiver

We dive Raystown about 5 time a year. I don't recommend diving raystown until you have about 100 dives. Cold, Dark, No ambient light, anchor lines, fishing lines, and standing trees. The powerhouse that is show above is beyond recreational limits. We used to teach there, but over the years it has gotten worse and worse. We don't train there at all anymore.

Mike

Does anyone have the GPS coordinates for the powerhouse?

hey guys i just joined this site literally to comment on this thread. i cant get the sketch listed above to show up, could someone email it to me. i'm new to diving and am really intrigued by the mysteries that lie under the waters of lake raystown

Back
Top Bottom