RAW vs. JPEG: The Cost Factor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randallr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went to Saba a few months ago, rented a DC1200, and loved it - its ease of use and the photos that resulted. I'm thinking of buying a DC1400 setup. As best I can tell, the most significant rap against it is it doesn't have RAW capabilities. But as I look at other camera setups, the cost differential seems huge. I can get a Sealife DC1400 setup with strobe, housing, etc. at B&H for about $800. A Canon GS12 setup at Backscatter is nearly twice as much.

So my question is: Is there a camera and housing with RAW capabilities that's as good as the DC1400 at a similar price point? Or does RAW simply cost more? What do you think is the best RAW-capable camera-housing-strobe setup at a price comparable to the DC1400?

This newbie thanks you in advance!

if you are serious about taking pictures, raw is a big advantage... i used to own a canon sd630 and installed the chdk to shoot raw... so i was in a dive almost at the end, the strobe stop working and there was a big octopus, so i took pictures in the JPEG and RAW... JPEG all Blue with the raw after procesing i got all the color back, it is like magic...having raw is a plus in order to edit your pictures..

Back
Top Bottom