Raw Video Scuba Diving with Big Bull Sharks in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

67 fsw in Jupiter..... Sounds like state waters
You can clearly see in the pictures and video that it's the wreck of the Bonaire in Jupiter. You can google it's federal versus state waters location.

... Are their feeding ordinances within state waters?
Yes,,,,state waters is regulated & illegal and Federal waters have no written rules and thereby un-regulated.

... because divers give up their catch when fishing.
Some people want to outlaw the nearby party boats with 30 baits hanging over the side feeding the sharks too.

I dove last Saturday and got into 2 big fights underwater. I've been doing this 25 years and it's the same every April & May as the sharks follow the bait fish swimming north. 1st week of May is the PEAK activity. They'll be gone in middle of May when the water temps move from 74 degrees up to 79 degrees. P.S. I've never had to killed a shark, but I've punched ALOT!

Some people want to outlaw the nearby party boats with 30 baits hanging over the side feeding the sharks too.

I dove last Saturday and got into 2 big fights underwater. I've been doing this 25 years and it's the same every April & May as the sharks follow the bait fish swimming north. 1st week of May is the PEAK activity. They'll be gone in middle of May when the water temps move from 74 degrees up to 79 degrees. P.S. I've never had to killed a shark, but I've punched ALOT!
My issue with the party boats is the trail of tears of short or bycatch fish that die from inflated swim bladders. I'd like to see a law requiring the weighted milk crate release method.

Please forgive my ignorance, but is there reasoning of distance from the shore? Are their feeding ordinances within state waters?

Yes. Shark feeding is illegal in Florida waters. Rightfully so in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the practice. At all. But they are within their rights. I choose not to participate and will share my concerns when give the chance. As others have said, conditioning sharks to associate people with food is a really bad idea. It can also lead to modified behavior and as a conservationist at heart I believe in impacting nature as little as possible. Just my two cents. Do with it what you will.

Please forgive my ignorance, but is there reasoning of distance from the shore? Are their feeding ordinances within state waters?

No it's illegal to feed sharks in state waters, so the haters always come out. Instead of just watching the video.

Ran over a few really good shots while editing the video, for those of you interested stay tuned. I cannot stress how cool of an experience this was, and how I thought I knew sharks before. Now I really have a different opinion of them.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-11-at-9-09-53-PM.png

This is Josh telling someone they better get behind him quickly as discussed in the pre-dive plan.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-11-at-8-44-10-PM.png

When the bulls first started to approach us

Screen-Shot-2019-04-11-at-8-52-07-PM.png

The lemons got real comfortable with everyone on our way to the safety

Screen-Shot-2019-04-11-at-9-16-19-PM.png

Hitching a ride

Screen-Shot-2019-04-11-at-9-17-39-PM.png

If you want to learn more about sharks and feel more comfortable in the water during encounters I highly recommend this dive. Make sure you call them so they can tell you what is acceptable to wear and gas mixtures, cause they are super picky about it.

Nice color correction app really helps the pics

Screen-Shot-2019-04-12-at-7-32-18-PM.png

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2019-04-12-at-7-32-18-PM.png
    Screen-Shot-2019-04-12-at-7-32-18-PM.png
    485.7 KB · Views: 94
Reallly cool! Been a while since I knowingly dove with big sharks. (I'm sure a few have seen me that I missed completely.) :) Looks like a fun trip. Have to keep it in mind next time I'm down Florida way... M

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom