Raw Format

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clutchcargo

Contributor
Reaction score
I ran some tests last night shooting scenes around my apartment using the various output formats with my Oly c5050. One thing I noticed is that the RAW format seems to be the sharpest of all and shows least noise of all formats. JPGs are not even close when closely scrutinized, so I just stuck to comparing TIFFs and RAWs.
I noticed when shooting the binders of my collection of National Geographics is when there is red text against a yellow background the red text kind of faded to brown using RAW format. The TIFF showed a much better color separation in this test. The RAW file plugin I'm using is the one supplied for a free download from the Olympus website for photoshop. Is there a difference between this and the Adobe RAW import plugin that would give me better results?
Thx
Cjh

Clutch...I can't help you with this one. I haven't gotten that far with my 5050 yet! There's been alot of discussion on the RAW format over on Digital Diver. I'm sure some of those folks who have been using it could answer your questions.

Yeah, check out digitaldiver, here to be exact:
http://www.digitaldiver.info/yabbse/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=3436

I have not tried the photoshop plugin yet since it is $99. Especially when the new photoshop version includes it as part of the standard feature.

I also tried a free trial version of a few programs, thumbplus 6, Sharpraw, ImatchImage Management and find them to be just so so. Their raw image processing is not nearly as good as the Olympus plugin, Camedia or even the freebie IrfanView.

Back
Top Bottom