Rare fishy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Bangs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This is a rare color variation of a surgeon fish. It is usually ALL blackish. These were shot in Yap while the Mantas were off on vacation! not too good but ok for ID purposes

DSCF0073.jpg

DSCF0068.jpg

Wow, that would look great in my aquarium!

I wonder if that thing was hybridized with a yellow tang?

Very interesting fish. Thanks for sharing.

Thats a White Lips fish.........they are normally all black with yellow tails.

Sorry I couldn't resist...........I have NO idea.

Happy Diving

This is probably the mimic surgeonfish, Acanthurus pyroferus. As juveniles they mimic several species of pygmy angelfish, often being mostly yellow and even adopting the rounded tail of the angels. When they outgrow the size of their models, they transition to much darker colors and their tails grow lunate like the rest of the surgeons. This photo looks to be a fish that is still in transition between these two phases.

No, I don't know this off the top of my head. The info is from Surgeonfishes, Rabbitfishes and Their Relatives by Rudie Kuiter & Helmut Debelius.

-Mark

maractwin:
This is probably the mimic surgeonfish, Acanthurus pyroferus. As juveniles they mimic several species of pygmy angelfish, often being mostly yellow and even adopting the rounded tail of the angels. When they outgrow the size of their models, they transition to much darker colors and their tails grow lunate like the rest of the surgeons. This photo looks to be a fish that is still in transition between these two phases.

No, I don't know this off the top of my head. The info is from Surgeonfishes, Rabbitfishes and Their Relatives by Rudie Kuiter & Helmut Debelius.

-Mark
After doing a lot of research I actually found a photo of this color variation in a 800 page Japanese fish book. The fish is (Ctenochaetus striatus) Stripped bristletooth. The one I saw is not a juvinile. My guide said the fish has been in the same spot for at least 5 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom