Ranger VS Black Diamond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mc-gyver

Reaction score
Hi.

I've dived the Ranger for 2 years now, and I'm not satisfied with it.

My dealer are willing too let me swap the Ranger for a new Seaquest Black Diamond. Is that a good deal ???

How is the Black Diamond compare to the Ranger ?

Best regards

Mc Gyver

If I were you, I'd switch over to a BP/wings setup, and I'm sure there will be no shortage of people agreeing with me :wink:

Regardless of how I feel about my current setup, BP/wings is really a superior system.

BTW, what precisely about your Ranger is making you unhappy?

:halo:

I own a Black Diamond. It's one of the newer ones (2001 model) with the swivel buckles. Make sure your LDS is offering the newer model in the swap arrangement. One of my favorite features of the Black Diamond is the weight pockets. They don't buldge out when fully loaded and are VERY secure. Also, they can be slid into place with BC on very easily. Another good feature is an extremely low amount of air trapping.

I'd have to agree with Jonnythan; we need to know what it is about the Ranger you're dissatisfied with. If you find it's insufficient for your type of diving, the Black Diamond probably would be, too. When I was buying my BC, the Ranger and Black Diamond were the two finalists. I finally chose the Ranger because of the ripcord weight system. I love my Ranger, but will probably be switching to BP/wings, soon.

Hi, Thanks for responding.

I try to explane what with the Ranger that I don't like.

When I rigg it the bottles (1x15 ltr + 1x6 ltr ponny) seems unsteady due to the soft condura back. That make my back hurts after a couple dives. I also have problems with the Ranger sliding when I'am turning up side down.

I'm not sure if that are caused by the bottles fitting arrangement alone or if the intergrated weights (15 kg) have something too do with it.

I use 15 Kg weights and a 7 mm neoprene drysuit due to cold water diving.

I have tried other BC's with a hard backplate, and they all feels more comfortably.

Mc Gyver

Well, a BP/wings setup will give you a nicehard backplate..

But I'll go with the DIR answer on this on this one and say "ditch the pony." I assume you're using it as a bailout... your buddy is your extra air, not a second bottle that messes with your trim. That's why it's important to have a good buddy.. I'd just say lose the pony and only dive with a good buddy, and just keep your Ranger.

mc-gyver,

I dive the same setup with the Black Diamond, tank + pony, and I find it very sturdy. The BD has a hard backpack that is somewhat molded to the shape of the tank to keep it steady.

Mgyver: I can't comment on the sway problem except that you need more rigidity in the back plate. The droop and ride up can only be addressed with an additional strap, we call it a crotch strap; it runs between the legs and is looped onto the waist belt.

The hard backplate of the Black Diamond may indeed provide more support than the Ranger. (Not as much as BP/wings...)
You say your dealer is willing to let you swap BC's? Have you tried the BD? Nothing beats personal experience. If the dealer will let you try it in the pool, it should make your decision much easier.

And imo, no reason to ditch the pony, if that's the way you like to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom