Ranger BCD tear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just brought the above BC to be serviced and told them about a 1/4 inch tear.
The tear is right below where the exhaust valve screws in on the left shoulder.
The BC does not leak and holds air. That being said we all know that tears get bigger over time. The shop doing the service stated that this tear is not repairable.(liability reasons)
Has anyone else had this problem and are there any solutions besides taking a chance or chucking the BC.

Thnx all

Last edited:
As far as I know Zeagle still offers a lifetime warranty on their products. Even if they do not, they are a modular system and you can pretty much change out any parts. I would send it to Zeagle directly and not bother with whatever shop told you that it can not be repaired.

Yeah they tear. Everything does.

As has been mentioned above just have Z send you a replacement for the entire bladder cover. (It's the cover tearing correct?)

That cover has little to do with the wing holding air. But it will tear more over time.

Then, glue and dive the one you have untill it falls apart. Use the spare Z sends you when things become too swiss-cheesey.

Yeah they tear. Everything does.

As has been mentioned above just have Z send you a replacement for the entire bladder cover. (It's the cover tearing correct?)

That cover has little to do with the wing holding air. But it will tear more over time.

Then, glue and dive the one you have untill it falls apart. Use the spare Z sends you when things become too swiss-cheesey.

Thnx I was worried about it filling with water if that was possible.

The Ranger bladder is a 2 piece bladder. There is an outer nylon shell and an inner rubber/plastic material liner. The outer shell is just a cover and protector of the inner bladder which holds the air. There is no reason at all the outer shell can't be repaired or patched....same for the inner one actually. Have them ship it to Zeagle for evaluation. If it's a tear they might not cover it under warrenty (a tear is not really a product failure) but odds are they can repair it.

The Ranger bladder is a 2 piece bladder. There is an outer nylon shell and an inner rubber/plastic material liner. The outer shell is just a cover and protector of the inner bladder which holds the air. There is no reason at all the outer shell can't be repaired or patched....same for the inner one actually. Have them ship it to Zeagle for evaluation. If it's a tear they might not cover it under warrenty (a tear is not really a product failure) but odds are they can repair it.

Thnx.

The bladder will eventually push through the slightly larger than spec opening caused by the tear. It's not a good thing when your bladder gets a hernia.
I will walk it through customer service and get it fixed for you if you want to send it to me.
Don't try to stopgap repair it yourself if you want the factory to look at it.
If you bought it new it might be a warranty issue.

Have the shop send the cover to us. It can most likely be repaired.

Thanks,

Scott

I spoke to Susan Sheffield and she is going to take of it.

Thnx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom