Ramon's Burned to the ground last night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe more cruise ships coming in will help.

Any news?

Resort is open, with no nasty smells. Rebuilding of everything destroyed will take a couple of months or so.

wow this caught me totally off guard. it was great, if they come back better than it should be pretty awesome!

RAMONS IS OPEN THEY ARE NOT CLOSED

We just returned from Ramon’s Village (9-15-13 to 9-21-13). . Yes, they had a devastating fire, and YES Ramon’s is open for business. What a week, what great people, and what a wonderful place.

Rooms - YES we stayed at Ramon’s in a beach front cabana, just few short steps from the water. Our room was perfect, mini refrigerator, safe, telephone, clock, and a king bed, and what a view from our private porch. I’ve stayed in a lot of “island rooms”, over the years. This was by far the nicest room I have ever had on a dive trip. As for the amenities, the air conditioner was outstanding, hot water and good pressure, 24 hours a day. The house keeping staff are meticulous, the floors shinned every day, which is tough to do when you have big footed divers like me tracking sand around. Each day our bed had a towel folded up in the shape of an animal or flower, with flower pedals as accents. Truly 5 star service.
Restaurant- We enjoyed dinner at Pineapples beach front restaurant. While they apologize for a ”limited” menu, I can only say if this is limited, I can’t wait to see what the full menu is like when the restaurant is re-built. The menu offers a wide variety of choices, and extras, for all three meals. Plus snacks are available from sun up till closing around 10:00 pm. They offered two BBQ nights, with a choice of fish, chicken, pork, or beef BBQ, and host of sides. As for pricing, the menu items are reasonability priced, not over inflated resort pricing, but down home value pricing. Good food, lots of it, and at a good price. The Staff is friendly, learned our names, home town, and even our favorite foods, rapidly.
Scuba Diving with Ramon’s, is GREAT. From the Dive Shop Management team, to the new deck hand every one treated us like we were owners. The Dive Master’s, had us set up our gear the first time and from then on, they handled everything. Normally, we do not normally let anyone assemble our gear; but the staff are perfectionists, even noting, that I prefer my cylinder slightly lower on the back than most, so we kicked back and let them do their thing. The dive shop mamangment team spent a lot of time with us, helping to plan not our return trip in March 2014, with 35 Divers. They listened to the needs of our group, the types and experience level of our divers, and helped us design a dive profile that will please everyone.
Blue Hole Trip – Well you can’t go to Belize and not make a trip to the Blue Hole. While it is a long boat ride, 2 hours, the time flew by. Lead by a great Captain, and supported by the staff telling us the history of the Blue hole, we never even noticed the time go by. What a thrill to dive in such a historical location. Led by our Dive Master, supported by 2 other Dive Guides, we toured the South Grotto. After the dive, it was off to Half Moon Caye for another stunning dive, and then the best boat lunch I have ever had on Half Moon Caye, wrapped up the day with a last dive, at a special spot Ernest knew of, between half-moon and Long Caye. As the day wound down, we took a relaxing 2 hour boat trip back to the resort, enjoying the beautiful sunset.
Fire – Rebuilding. OK so what about the FIRE! Yes Ramon’s suffered a horrible fire on August 27, 2013. But let me tell you, the entire Ramon’s team, the contractors, and the people of San Pedro, have a get it done attitude. By the time we left, walls were already going up on the restaurant, and all of the cabanas floor framing was in place, with several having walls already up. It’s truly a testament to the people of San Pedro and the Staff of Ramon’s.
The resort is well on its way to being bigger and better than ever. AND IT’S PRETTY GREAT ALREADY. If you’re visiting in the next few months don’t worry about the noise, you can’t hear anything. I don’t know how they do it, but the entire week, we never were distributed once. We really didn’t hear anything. Reminded me of the building of King Solomon’s Temple “so that there was neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron heard in the house, while it was in building” (1Kings 6:7)
Staff – It’s such a joy to talk with people, who have faced such a tragedy, and still find joy in each day. Not once over the week did I see a frown on anyone’s face, from the golf cart rentals team, to the guy carrying lumber; everyone is just filed with joy. We had the pleasure of sitting with Diving Legend Ramon Nuñez, who still greets guests each day, shares his love of the island and the sea, and a sprit for life that is refreshing.
We would like to say "Thank You" to Ramon Nuñez, Mr. & Mrs. Headrick, managers Einer & Steve, all the dive staff, Ernest, Ricky, 'Belly' and Rick, as well the all the hard working staff and workers on board, no matter their position - 'all for one' is apparent in your drive to achieve your goal - from the impressive changes we have seen in a week - we have no worries you will be back by your goal! Looking forward to our March visit!

For those that care about such things, it is my understanding that alcoholic beverages are no longer available at Ramon's. Someone/anyone that can verify either way please do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom