Ramon's Burned to the ground last night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WoW! We just had a group there in May. So Sad!

Wow!

Hopefully they can rebuild.

It great that there are no mentions of people getting badly hurt. Hope all the guests got their passports and travel docs out in time. Lot of people are going to be out of a job for sometime. Lot of vacation plans will be changed.

Very sad and shocking turn of events.

Owner and the manager have both said would be rebuilding even better than before and quickly. Also said they would be taking care of guests present and future. I guess that works as long as all their reservations etc. have been backed up outside of the resort. I've also been led to believe that there are still some guest huts standing and usable. Can't imagine who would want to stay in them at this point, the grounds will be ugly gross and huts must smell of smoke. How the thatch didn't catch on every building is still miraculous. Also fortunate? that the wind was not blowing as per usual, or the whole town may have gone up.

Ramon's doesn't have the New Year's parties anymore, but I'll never forget what they were like. Haven't experienced anything like that before or since those years.

We were just there in May. It's amazing how fast they can rebuild. I'm guessing it will be back up and running in a month. Went to Cozumel just a few weeks after Wilma, and was amazed at how fast everyone pitches in and rebuilds.

I was staying on the north end of town when this happened. The power went out (or was brought down) shortly thereafter. Since I was literally in the dark, I went to Caramba's and found out what happened. Ambergris Caye has a lot of challenges with its rapid growth. It receives so much tourism but the infrastructure really needs to catch up to support the number of residents, businesses, and tourists. I know that's easier said than done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom