Ramon Village, Belize. Good diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Does anyone know this resort? How is the diving there in that area of Belize?
Thanks

Ramon's Village is in San Pedro, Ambrgris Caye ... just north of Belize City. I don't have direct experience, as I stayed at the Mayan Princess just up the beach. But it looked like a real nice place. Huts, as I recall.

What I can speak directly about is the great diving. It's all boat diving ... the reef is a half-mile or so off the beach. Many dives are "slot canyons" ... you drop down to 45-50 feet and swim along the bottom till it suddenly drops down into these little coral-walled canyons. Then you just follow the canyon. Great vis, excellent life and reef structure.

I'd recommend it a lot for someone who's relatively new to diving, especially, because the dives are relatively easy, but still high on the WOW scale.

When there I dived with Amigos del Mar ... who are great ... but I think Ramon's has their own dive op.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Ramon's Village is in San Pedro, Ambrgris Caye ... just north of Belize City. I don't have direct experience, as I stayed at the Mayan Princess just up the beach. But it looked like a real nice place. Huts, as I recall.

What I can speak directly about is the great diving. It's all boat diving ... the reef is a half-mile or so off the beach. Many dives are "slot canyons" ... you drop down to 45-50 feet and swim along the bottom till it suddenly drops down into these little coral-walled canyons. Then you just follow the canyon. Great vis, excellent life and reef structure.

I'd recommend it a lot for someone who's relatively new to diving, especially, because the dives are relatively easy, but still high on the WOW scale.

When there I dived with Amigos del Mar ... who are great ... but I think Ramon's has their own dive op.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That really sounds great Bob, but I wonder why you say it's good for someone new to diving. Since I'm not new to diving would I find it boring, or unchallenging?

The resort is huts and it does look nice from it's webpage but I wondered if anyone had stayed there and could tell me what it's like?

We were to stay at Ramons when we went to AC and changed at the last minute. Glad we did we walked through and took a look, small grass roof huts small pool with alot of people around it, most of the huts are on top of the road noise and alot of dust. We ended up at Banyan Bay very very nice condo set up great pool awlsome rooms. And a little cheaper than Ramons. Diving was very good.
Ed

pilot fish:
Does anyone know this resort? How is the diving there in that area of Belize?
Thanks

My wife and I stayed at the Sunbreeze, next to Ramon's. Returned 2 weeks ago. I was there for some Veterinary seminars. Most of my associates stayed at Ramon's. I didn't see the rooms directly, but the comment from a friend of mine was "I would have expected more for 185 bucks". The accomodations at the Sunbreeze were nice, the rooms very clean and serviced daily. A little on small side, but what I'd expect for a "hotel" room. Also a great pool and food at the Blue water grill. If you want a little more room I personally would check out "Banyan Bay". There rates are good and the accomodations excellent. We went through one of their condo's, planning for our next trip down there.

Any good dive shop will pick you up at any of the hotel docks along the strip. My wife and I dove with Protech locally, and contracted with Amigo's Del Mar for the long distance "blue water" trips. Both operations were fantastic. Amigo's is by far the best choice for the Blue Hole trip and Turneffe trips. There Pro48 was nice for the 2 1/2 boat trips. We chose Protech for the local diving, solely based on some of the advice of this board. I also like the fact that they dive a little smaller groups. I was very glad we did. Boats were very uncrowded. They catered to groups of 2-8. On our last day of diving it was only my wife, I, and the divemaster. A private tour. Divemasters were the Tops. We dove with Bryan and Gilbert at Protech, and with Marciano for the Amigo's trip. Protech will take good care of you. I watched them work with a few Newbies, and let the experienced divers have a little leeway. They also have very new rental gear if you are in the need. We made 19 dives in the 9 days we were there.

The local diving, good for a new diver and great for the experienced diver. Most dives were in the 50-70 foot range. Some were a little deeper. On the walls of the reef, everything is very healthy. Fish life good. If dollars are available, do the daytrips to the other atolls. $165.00 for all day, 3 dives and lunch. Fantastic!!

Here's a view of Banyon. I belive they've got a $185 special going right now.
http://www.global-travel.co.uk/banyan.htm

Here's a few of my Belize pics:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/36473

Dive Protech
Hope this helps. :42: Ken

riverdiver:
We were to stay at Ramons when we went to AC and changed at the last minute. Glad we did we walked through and took a look, small grass roof huts small pool with alot of people around it, most of the huts are on top of the road noise and alot of dust. We ended up at Banyan Bay very very nice condo set up great pool awlsome rooms. And a little cheaper than Ramons. Diving was very good.
Ed

Dusty, crowded? Sounds like there is not too much privacy either?

yakivet:
My wife and I stayed at the Sunbreeze, next to Ramon's. Returned 2 weeks ago. I was there for some Veterinary seminars. Most of my associates stayed at Ramon's. I didn't see the rooms directly, but the comment from a friend of mine was "I would have expected more for 185 bucks". The accomodations at the Sunbreeze were nice, the rooms very clean and serviced daily. A little on small side, but what I'd expect for a "hotel" room. Also a great pool and food at the Blue water grill. If you want a little more room I personally would check out "Banyan Bay". There rates are good and the accomodations excellent. We went through one of their condo's, planning for our next trip down there.

Any good dive shop will pick you up at any of the hotel docks along the strip. My wife and I dove with Protech locally, and contracted with Amigo's Del Mar for the long distance "blue water" trips. Both operations were fantastic. Amigo's is by far the best choice for the Blue Hole trip and Turneffe trips. There Pro48 was nice for the 2 1/2 boat trips. We chose Protech for the local diving, solely based on some of the advice of this board. I also like the fact that they dive a little smaller groups. I was very glad we did. Boats were very uncrowded. They catered to groups of 2-8. On our last day of diving it was only my wife, I, and the divemaster. A private tour. Divemasters were the Tops. We dove with Bryan and Gilbert at Protech, and with Marciano for the Amigo's trip. Protech will take good care of you. I watched them work with a few Newbies, and let the experienced divers have a little leeway. They also have very new rental gear if you are in the need. We made 19 dives in the 9 days we were there.

The local diving, good for a new diver and great for the experienced diver. Most dives were in the 50-70 foot range. Some were a little deeper. On the walls of the reef, everything is very healthy. Fish life good. If dollars are available, do the daytrips to the other atolls. $165.00 for all day, 3 dives and lunch. Fantastic!!

Here's a view of Banyon. I belive they've got a $185 special going right now.
http://www.global-travel.co.uk/banyan.htm

Here's a few of my Belize pics:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/36473

Dive Protech
Hope this helps. :42: Ken

Great pics. Thanks. Babyan looks nice and more private than Ramon? How far is dive op from the Banyan?

I didn't stay at Ramons but thought they had a good rep. No first hand experience.

I did stay at Gaz's Playa Blanca dive resort. Very small operation and really excellent for a dive trip. Nice condo style rooms and not many guests. I think he's made some upgrades since I've been there, including a pool.

What I really can speak to is that the DMs with him are amazing and they run a real comfortable opp for AC.

Disclaimer: I stayed there once and otherwise have no ties to the joint. (divebelize.com)

Anyone else been there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom