Raja Ampat - what to do after the liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy Gaskin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

First post here, a group of us are diving Raja on a 7 day liveabord next Oct :) A few of us will be taking at least an extra week before / after the boat (as we are coming from Europe) but not quite sure where to spend the time!

Ideally we'd like to catch up over a few beers (we haven't seen eachother in years!) and chill somewhere on a beach....with the option of some extra diving, bit of exploring etc in the local area.

Can anyone suggest some places to look into? or put me on the right track if we'll need to look further afield!

Many thanks all :)

Bali. I often stop for a few days and go up to Ubud to get used to life on land again. Splurge on a luxury hotel. Eat lots, lots of temples and cultural things to do and very set up for tourist market. If you want more diving go up north to Tulumben or Padang Bai or go over to Lembongan and hope to encounter mola2.

Yes , would really recommend Bali, great diving and topside options. After our Komodo LOB we went to Gili Air, which we loved.

Another vote for Bali - lots of options to suit everyone. Personally I like Ubud, but it has changed a lot over the years - particularly after Eat, Live, Pray. But you can still some of the quiet relaxed charm - just not in the middle of town anymore. But there are lots of other more beachy options too - Kuta, Seminyak, Sanur etc and good diving too
If shopping is something you are interested in Singapore isn't a bad place either, even just for 24 hrs.

Other than Bali, you may check Jogjakarta to tour Keraton, Malioboro, Prambanan, Borobudur & Dieng high plateau & Parangtritis or Ratu Kidul (Queen of the South) for beach. I like to ride on the horse drawn cart (kereta) & man-powered tricycle (becak) there.

If you are flying through Manado try Murex Dive Resort. From here you can see the local culture on a Minihasan highland tour, or take an easy trek around Mahawu volcano's crater don't miss a visit to see the Tarsier's and Macaques at the Tangkoko nature preserve. If you want a thrill you can go white water rafting too.

You can also dive Bunaken National Park or with a group take a day and dive around Bangka or Lembeh. Alternatively you can split the time between Murex Manado and Murex Bangka.

The other option is to spend a little more time in central Raja Ampat. See the birds of Paradise, visit some villages and check out some prehistoric petroglyphs. There are plenty of dive sites to visit, your 7 day LOB won't be able to take you to them all.

Great Ideas all! Will look at Bali I think as it has a bit of everything, it's. Been 20 yrs since I was last there though so. I'd better get ready for a bit of a shock I guess! Thanks for helping out, much appreciated.

Agree that Bali has some good options, whether you want to dive or have a land life. Outside of Bali, if you want some muck diving, Lembeh Strait might be a good balance from all that you will see in Raja (more coral, etc.). Alternatively, if you want more coral, you can do some day trip boats out in Komodo National Park if you haven't done that yet. They also do 3-4 day short liveaboards. Or, you can also head to Bunaken. Bunaken and Lembeh has you flying into Manado from Sorong. It's an easy jump back to Jakarta if that is where you are flying in from (or Bali).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom