Raja Ampat Weather in July/August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottydawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking about heading to Raja Ampat at the end of July 2012 but before I book this very expensive trip I was wondering what the typical weather is in July and August and what is the best (most preferred times) to travel to that region? Thanks in advance!

July/August in Raja Ampat are typically windy with rain. You might luck out and get good weather, but better to choose a time more likely to have good weather.

For the diving in Raja Ampat it doesn't really seem to matter. Always good and water temperatures is always warm, visibility is always variable.

For best conditions weather-wise I always book my Raja Ampat charters in mid-October to mid-December. Seems to have least rain and hardly any wind. We usually get about 1/2 day of rain during an 11-14 day trip during that time period. I am always aboard for the trips and so I want to have the best chance of good weather and best diving.

I have been diving and taking small groups (always limited to 12) every year since '99. I've taken both land-based and ship charters and also in other months of the year. For 2011 and 2012 I've only booked charters in Oct/Nov.

If you must go in July/August, choose another area. Perhaps Komodo. For me it is not as good a trip as Raja Ampat, but a better option for those months.

Ho Photog,
thank´s for this advice. What about the weather conditions in february ?

Deb, THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH for this information! The Damai is running a charter next year at that time and I didn't want to spend $12K or more on my wife and I for a wet vacation.

Deb, THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH for this information! The Damai is running a charter next year at that time and I didn't want to spend $12K or more on my wife and I for a wet vacation.

No worries... at least you are checking it out. It is a lot of cash to spend and for sure divers go and don't have a good trip due either to weather or the ship they choose. There are a lot of liveaboards operating in Raja Ampat now and plenty that have inexperienced crew and guides. Of course there are only so many experienced guides in Raja Ampat and many ships are not able to hire anyone with experience in the area. I always hate to see people writing to forums who did not have a good trip.

Ho Photog,
thank´s for this advice. What about the weather conditions in february ?

Feb is OK. Not the best in my opinion but for sure a better choice than July/Aug. As I said I choose mid-Oct to mid-Dec and 2nd choice would be late April-May. Most of the ships relocate in July/Aug and even land-based close during that season in Papua and Moluccas.

Besides the Damai and the Dancer are there any other boats you suggest to take a look at?

Besides the Damai and the Dancer are there any other boats you suggest to take a look at?

you could have a look at : S/Y Indo Siren, Pindito, seven seas , just to name a few. there are plenty of boats there to choose from, it also depends on how much you plan to spend.

+1, I would like to hear some boat suggestions! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom