Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello fellow divers! Needing some input on what to expect on my first dive trip to Raja Ampat. I am planning on staying at the Cove Eco Resort near Gam and the Fam islands this coming December.
I have gone down the never ending rabbit hole of trying to understand what to expect as far as visibility in December in the area. I do love good vis.
So, can anyone tell me what their vis experiences were diving in this area in December? How many meters roughly? If the vis was significantly diminished did it impact your experience, or was the fish life just so incredible that it didn't really matter?
I have heard that going during the windy season offers better vis due to less plankton blooms. Anyone recommend that season over the seemingly more popular time of november-march?

Thanks so much!
-Paige From Colorado

Honestly you won't know until it gets closer to the time and even then one area can be blue and clear and another green and smudgy. So many factors can change the conditions and we have had a few weird years so it might be kind of hard to predict. As you know, RA is known for all the nutrients in the water which brings all the fish to the yard! I think the only thing that might impact your trip is if you were a wide angle photographer expecting only crystal blue water. Otherwise, you will love it!

Having been to RA last December, I think you have made a good choice. The visibility isn't always the best, but there's TONS of marine life and fish because of all the nutrients in the water, but the water is flat calm. From what I was told from the locals, with better visibility in the rainy season, you get rough conditions topside with the wind.

You don't have your experience level in your profile, but RA is an advanced-level dive destination. Get educated about down currents and up currents and read some of the trip reports here. I did a live trip report in December 2023. Trip Report - Raja Ampat, Live Report, Nov. 7-Dec. 7, 2023

I'm staying at Eco Cove next March, so would love to hear about your experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom