Question Raja Ampat sea conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSpaniel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Generally speaking, how are the sea conditions in RA in December? Doing our first liveaboard and just curious what to expect. Thanks!!!

Should be quite pleasant unless there is a storm. Even then, there shouldn't be much groundswell, just wind swells, since the zone is fairly enclosed by large islands. Some of the big liveaboards are more swimmy than others.. lots of windage and can be topheavy.

Should be quite pleasant unless there is a storm. Even then, there shouldn't be much groundswell, just wind swells, since the zone is fairly enclosed by large islands. Some of the big liveaboards are more swimmy than others.. lots of windage and can be topheavy.
Thank you! We are on ScubaSpa Zen, so small 20 passenger phinisi should be smooth sailing..

When I was there in December 2023, the water was mostly smooth as glass, but under that calm surface water was ripping current. Bring a reef hook.

When I was there in December 2023, the water was mostly smooth as glass, but under that calm surface water was ripping current. Bring a reef hook.
Same in Dec 2022 - not all sites had strong currents, but a few were quite eye opening. The guides did a great job helping us figure out how to manage effectively and you get used to it after a few dives. Strong currents do brings in lots of life which makes it worth it, but definitely do bring a reef hook as you'll need it!

I was on Zen in Nov/Dec 2022 and seas were calm. No large storms. Of course that could change, but I believe that time of year is generally good.

+1 to a reef hook. did a liveaboard in March 2024 and did not bring a reef hook, had to borrow one from the boat.

Question given all of the responses on here but don't these operations provide a reef hook?
they do, sometimes they run out of hooks or the reef hooks are so well used and becomes a reef stick :wink: you jam it in a rock and bend it to fit.

or you can bring your own super duper reef hook like this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom