Raja Ampat Oceanic Mantas-Diving Required?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We are planning a trip to Raja Ampat. We have seen reef mantas in Fiji and Maldives but have never seen the larger oceanic mantas. We have read that oceanic mantas can be seen on the Blue Magic dive site in Raja Ampat but are not sure if you would have to be a diver to be able to see them. We only snorkel. We are thinking of learning to dive but we've been told that Raja Ampat is not really a good place for new divers due to strong currents. I would appreciate it if anyone has any information as to whether we could get good views of oceanic mantas at the Blue Magic dive site as snorkelers and whether the site is generally viewed as being too risky for new divers. Also, I have heard that the reef mantas show up in Raja Ampat from October to May but that the Oceanic mantas are generally there from only December to May. Is that correct? Just wanting to know when the oceanic mantas generally show up so we can time our scuba training to suit if its not risky for new divers.
Thanks in advance for any information.

It is possible to see mantas in RA as a snorkeler but I do not think Blue Magic would be a good spot. In three visits I only saw them once at that site and it was reasonably deep (and very memorable with one manta visiting each diver on the reef in turn). As a snorkeler you might have been able to get a glimpse of a manta but from above and fighting current the whole time as there was a fair amount of current. Not unmanageable but I would not have said that it was a lazy dive :) and definitely not a beginner dive. Previous dives on the same site when mantas did not show up there was not as much current and a new diver would not have had any issues.

There are lots of sites where beginner divers will be very comfortable, however you will find that the best sites and encounters will happen where the current is a bit stronger. Personally I would learn to dive elsewhere and get a few dives in an easier location before taking on RA.

I did do a liveaboard trip where we had a set of beginner divers and having them on board changed where we all dove - and not for the better. Sites were chosen to avoid current and the more challenging dives. If you are thinking about a land based trip you should have no trouble as a beginner. You won't get the best possible experience, but it will still be an incredible experience.

I have seen Oceanic manta in Blue Magic, but not as often as in Magic Mountain in Misool. Also, they don’t go to the surface as often as reef manta. So you need to dive to see them.

I recommend you to get your open water certification soon. So, by December or January 2022, RA will be open and you’ll be ready to dive in Magic Mountain.

Here’s what I see in Magic Mountain

Where do you life? If you’re in USA, then Socorro will be the better place to see the Ocenic manta. Mexico is open now. I just came back from Socorro last Sunday.

Here’s a video clip of Oceanic Manta of Socorro that I took 2 year ago. They like bubbles, so they come to divers to be tickled by our bubbles. So we gave some to them.

I have seen Oceanic manta in Blue Magic, but not as often as in Magic Mountain in Misool. Also, they don’t go to the surface as often as reef manta. So you need to dive to see them.

I recommend you to get your open water certification soon. So, by December or January 2022, RA will be open and you’ll be ready to dive in Magic Mountain.

Pretty obvious, you had strong current there.

Concur on Magic Mountain! Oceanic Mantas on every dive in October 2019. I would pursue dive certification regardless of where you go to see them. Truly a magical experience!

manta-4.jpg

Reactions: Dan
I'd say it is doable. Personal schedule permitting, go to Coz or/and Florida soon, get certified, and do at least 25 dives there before you go to SE Asia. Both destinations have currents so this will give you good practice. I know people who enjoyed snorkeling in SE Asia but they are advanced free divers, so they were not exactly "snorkeling".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom