Raja Ampat liveaboard - which boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

val&tim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're planning a 10-12 day liveaboard in Raja Ampat in late 2016.

We're not looking for luxury - as long as we've got a private double cabin and enough to eat we'll be happy. We do care about good divemasters/guides and crew, small groups of divers and good rental equipment.

At present we're considering the following boats: Ambai, Ondina, Seahorse or Shakti.
Any trip reports for these would be much appreciated, as would any alternative recommendations.

Many thanks in advance for your responses.
(Message reposted from General Travel forum)

Have you looked at the Tambora? I would highly recommend the boat - have just done a second RA trip with Uwe on Tambora. There is a recent review/trip report by Reubencahn on the Tambora of our trip posted last week. I will certainly be doing more trips on Tambora, two trips in 9 months on the boat and not a single negative. Have fun and enjoy RA.

I have been on a 11/12 day cruise to Raja Ampat on board the MSV Seahorse and it was very good. The crew were very friendly and even arranged an impromptu surprise party for my birthday which came during the trip.

The Seahorse uses large dhoni type tenders to dive off from, which is far more convenient that dinghies. The crew assist you to gear-up on the dinghy but for night dives you may find it more convenient to gear-up on the main boat.

Mermaid I is another superb boat that does RA trips. I have been on it for the Komodo cruise and enjoyed eveny minute of it.

We are on the new raj Aggressor in October can't wait 5 star all the way !!!!!

I just completed a 10 day LOB trip on the Mermaid 1 with my dive club and it was GREAT.

Dive briefings were excellent -- the best I have experienced so far. The staff treated us royally, food was good (and plentiful), the dive deck was large enough to get around on, and best of all showers on the lower dive deck so as soon as you got out -- shower. Access to the dingys was easy, the staff was super-helpful to those less well-balanced (that would be me) and I put my gear on in the boat every tine without an issue.

The only complaint I would have was that the budget cabins had bunk beds, so someone had to climb up and down. Thankfully it wasn't me. The regular cabins had double (maybe queen) beds and doors opening to the deck for nice sea breezes.

We went to Misool (great -- and I mean GREAT!!! -- schools of fish and wonderful corals!) and the the Danpier strait where it was more currenty and there were more pelagics. Saw sharks numerous times, including the Wobegong, and black and white-tipped. Also 5 dives with mantas, two of those dives with oceanic mantas. Plenty of other cool stuff.

The Mermaid II is larger and carries more people, although the common areas were said to be bigger but the cabins smaller. We were 15 people on the Mermaid 1.

- Bill

I just completed a 10 day LOB trip on the Mermaid 1 with my dive club and it was GREAT.

Dive briefings were excellent -- the best I have experienced so far.

- Bill
I agree. I went to Komodo on Mermaid I last year and felt that the dive briefings were the best ever. Was Harri the Finn presiding on your RA trip?

Dive briefings were excellent -- the best I have experienced so far. The staff treated us royally, food was good (and plentiful), the dive deck was large enough to get around on, and best of all showers on the lower dive deck so as soon as you got out -- shower. Access to the dingys was easy, the staff was super-helpful to those less well-balanced (that would be me) and I put my gear on in the boat every tine without an issue.

The only complaint I would have was that the budget cabins had bunk beds, so someone had to climb up and down. Thankfully it wasn't me. The regular cabins had double (maybe queen) beds and doors opening to the deck for nice sea breezes.

We went to Misool (great -- and I mean GREAT!!! -- schools of fish and wonderful corals!) and the the Danpier strait where it was more currenty and there were more pelagics. Saw sharks numerous times, including the Wobegong, and black and white-tipped. Also 5 dives with mantas, two of those dives with oceanic mantas. Plenty of other cool stuff.

The Mermaid II is larger and carries more people, although the common areas were said to be bigger but the cabins smaller. We were 15 people on the Mermaid 1.

- Bill

Another +1 for Mermaid I.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom