Raja Ampat - Liveaboard or Land-Based?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PK1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd welcome advice from Indonesia experts on whether on whether to dive Raja Ampat via a Liveaboard or land-based operation. I'm aware of the relative merits of the two options, in general, but am interested in advice specifically with respect to Raja Ampat. I have done a liveaboard trip to the Komodo Islands and appreciated the wide diversity of dive sites, which would have been difficult to access from a single land-based location. On the other hand, I don't mind repeat or similar dive sites as long as there is a lot to see.

I've been to RA twice and am returning for a 3rd time next year. I did a 7 day liveaboard the 1st time, an 11 day the 2nd time, and will do a 12 day the 3rd time. (3X in 2.5 years...I'm an addict to say the least!) I did a bit of research on this. If you are only interested in seeing central RA around the Dampier Strait OR Misool, land based is feasible, but given the cost and the number of dives you actually will get across a period of days as well as on a per day basis, there is often and usually better value in getting on a liveaboard. There are resorts in both regions but you are limited to the diving near that particular resort. If you want to see both by land based, you will have to check yourself in and out of the resorts in the 2 regions. If you are doing a 7 day liveaboard, you would have access to the same sites as staying in a resort just in the Dampier/Central RA region. the 10+ day itineraries would get you to Dampier/Central RA as well as down to Misool and perhaps also a touch of northern RA over by Wayag.

There are also homestays which are more basic and can help with the budget. There are also budget liveaboards but there are also fancy liveaboards, as there are also fancy resorts. The question is how much time and how much money you have to work with and how fancy you want the liveaboard or resort to be, relatively speaking; perhaps that will be a good decision maker for you.

@Dan_T has been to RA I think 6 or 7 times, so he can give you some good insight about it as well.

Raja Ampat is pretty big area with wide biodiversity. For the first time, you may want to explore the area to get the full flavor of what it’s like diving in Raja Ampat anyway. I would recommend you to take 10-12 day liveaboard to cover the south (Misool), west (Penemu), north (Wayag) & central (Dampier Strait) of Raja Ampat. For such a trip, I usually take a minimum of 2 week vacation as I’ll be coming half around the world to far end of Indonesia, spending ~ 30 flight hours each way. I’ll be doing that same trip there for the 8th time in January 2020: Raja Ampat 14-25 Jan 2020 with Amira $837 off

November to March would be the best time to visit. Here is a trip report of my latest trip to Raja Ampat that may add a bit more info about how the diving there around that time of the year is like: Nov 20 - Dec 2, 2017 Ambon - Sorong Crossing Trip Report

I generally agree that, especially for a first trip, a liveaboard makes sense. But I do think people underestimate the value of the local knowledge accumulated by the land based ops that dive the same sites day in day out. If you only want to dive Dampier Straits or Misool, I think it makes sense to consider the land based options. You can always do both if you have the time and money. It's easy to add on a short land-based stay at one of the central RA ops before or after a liveaboard. I'm doing that this winter.

I've been to RA 3 times. For the first time, liveaboard is way better to get an overview for this huge area. I love Misool area and probably will go land based there next time.
Amira is a great boat and I would highly recommend it. Good crew and organization. Sleep, eat, dive, repeat.

Homestay is an adventure on its own.
Rustic accommodation to go with the food but the general feeling is completely from LoB.
This is just like trekking in Nepal Himalayas, DIY or rely on someone to take good care of you for everything!

I can barely imagine doing this area and not being on a liveaboard. Yes, you can do a combination and if you organize it correctly, your liveaboard can either pick you up from your resort or drop you there. Either way, you'll lose at least a couple of dives.

The boat that I was on last year or the year before picked up a couple from Misool resort.

Back
Top Bottom