Raja Ampat Liveaboard for a first timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS If you are planning to do dive travel in Indonesia, particularly Bali, but certainly not restricted to Bali you might get in touch with Underwater Tribe. Mike Veitch on this board. They really know the area and when and where to dive. Met Mike when he was cruise director on the Damai I and arranged my last trip to Lembeh and Komodo and my next trip to Bali, Ambon and Raja in 26 days (but who's counting). Could do it myself, and have but cost no more and sometimes less to have them arrange it all and they are there in Bali with relationships to local suppliers if something goes wrong. Had a minor issue on the last trip and they fixed the problem (of my own making) and saved the last few days of the trip for me.

Hello,
New to scubaboard and a first time poster so feel free to let me know if I am doing it all wrong...I have thick skin. I am looking for recommendations for a liveaboard in Raja Ampat, either Oct/Nov 2017 or Jan/Feb 2018. I have done a decent amount of research, and am well aware there are 40+ boats operating in the area.

A little about me - 30 something year old avid traveler, relatively novice diver. Under 100 dives, approx 30-40 dives in cold water, 15 or so in warm. I got back from diving a week in Palau and am hooked. This will be my first liveaboard experience.

What I am looking for - I am pretty set on diving Raja Ampat, most likely a 10-12 night liveaboard out of Sorong, as part of a probably 3 week trip to Indonesia. I will be a traveling alone. While a luxurious experience is not important, I am looking for a safe, knowledgeable, and friendly crew/boat....an easy going atmosphere towards a "less hardcore diver" wouldn't hurt ;p. I would like the creature comforts of an aircon room and ensuite toilet/shower. Opportunities for land excursions/kayaking/snorkeling would be a plus. While I am definitely budget oriented, it is a long way to go to dive so I am willing to invest the money to maximize the experience. $4500-$5,500 usd would be the general neighborhood.

I am getting ready to send out some inquires to the following boats - SevenSeas, Pindito, Amira, IndoSiren, Sahambaia, Tanbora, La Galigo, and maybe the Damai (high end).

With that in mind, I would love any feedback or input from you fellow divers. I appreciate your time!
Hello travelnurse777

I did both shore based diving in Raja Ampat from homestays in Gam (batu lima homestay) and Kri (Membertron) and at Biodiversity Resort on Gam, followed by a 10days on Mermaid also diving in Raja Ampat. As a single (older) traveler and diver I enjoyed all the experiences I had, on Mermaid the rooms, food and Diving were wonderful. But by far for me was the week I had at Biodiversity was the best, their guides were amazing at finding so many delights on each dive and I felt very safe with them. I repeated some of the dives with Mermaid and I have to say the biodiversity experience was far greater with smaller groups and I felt well looked after. Biodiversity has the dampier strait favorite dives sites all within a very short boat ride. For the care and level of service provided they are a very reasonably priced and far more affordable than any other the other resorts I looked at in the area. As they don't have set check in dates there is a flow of new arrivals and I met some wonderful people all with different levels of diving experience and all from different parts of the world. It was a very social week and I felt included by all the guests, staff and guides. I highly recommend Biodiversity as a great way to see the top dive sites of Raja Ampat, at a far better price than the liveaboards.
Hope you enjoy Raja Ampat!

Hello travelnurse777

I did both shore based diving in Raja Ampat from homestays in Gam (batu lima homestay) and Kri (Membertron) and at Biodiversity Resort on Gam, followed by a 10days on Mermaid also diving in Raja Ampat. As a single (older) traveler and diver I enjoyed all the experiences I had, on Mermaid the rooms, food and Diving were wonderful. But by far for me was the week I had at Biodiversity was the best, their guides were amazing at finding so many delights on each dive and I felt very safe with them. I repeated some of the dives with Mermaid and I have to say the biodiversity experience was far greater with smaller groups and I felt well looked after. Biodiversity has the dampier strait favorite dives sites all within a very short boat ride. For the care and level of service provided they are a very reasonably priced and far more affordable than any other the other resorts I looked at in the area. As they don't have set check in dates there is a flow of new arrivals and I met some wonderful people all with different levels of diving experience and all from different parts of the world. It was a very social week and I felt included by all the guests, staff and guides. I highly recommend Biodiversity as a great way to see the top dive sites of Raja Ampat, at a far better price than the liveaboards.
Hope you enjoy Raja Ampat!

How did you get to Bio? What's involved please?

Relatively inexperienced diver here. And I do prefer LOB over land based dives, mostly because I tend to get car/sea sick en route to dive sites, and I hate that. Somehow I do better with bigger boat.

Anyway, I went to Raja Ampat with Aggressor in Feb and I've paid deposit for their Christmas trip, so safe to say I was pretty happy with the boat and the crew. I don't know where Aggressor fits in with the options you've looked at, i.e. more budget friendly or luxurious, but I'd be interested to find out.

I'd say don't worry too much before going. Do your research (or get recommendations from people you know and trust), choose a boat, then enjoy the dives once you get aboard. I find LOB is by far the easiest place to make friends :)

My two cents.

I have a charter for Raja Ampat aboard the Arenui departing Sorong on Feb. 5, 2018 and returning to Sorong on Feb. 16th, 2018. I have 2 cabins available. You can view the vessel, itinerary, cabins, pricing, etc. @thearenui.com The group is comprised of fun loving, avid diving friends from both the U.S. and Canada. All are friendly, speak English, and have a passion for diving. Many of the same group are repeat customers of the Arenui and travelled with me to Komodo in 2015. When I reached out to them about the trip, the response was a resounding "count me in!" A true testament to the quality of the vessel, crew, food and service provided by the Arenui. If you are looking for a LOB experience aboard a traditional Indonesian Phinisi, the Arenui is the best! Check out their website and PM me, if you would like more information.

Arenui's website doesn't show rates up to the date of your trip. Perhaps you'd be willing to share prices here.

Last edited:
Arenui's website doesn't show rates up to the date of your trip. Perhaps you'd be willing to share prices here.

@chillyinCanada ~ the price per person is $6710 + $150 Fuel surcharge + $150 Administration/Port Clearance Fee + $180 Park Fee. Total ~ $7,190. FYI ~ on the Arenui website, if you click on Schedules & Rates & then click on 2018 tab, you will find the information. Thank you for your reply.

Thanks for that and the explanation of how to find the rates.

Back
Top Bottom