Raja Ampat, Fiji or PNG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ADimitris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I would like Intel and comparison of PNG, Raja Ampat and Fiji for options for October to November.. liveaboards vs land based or a combination..Also, maybe joining Lembeh to Raja Ampat. Ideally, I'd love info from someone who has experienced all of the above and can really help with planning.

I love macro while my buddy wants to see the huge schools of fish and wide variety and abundance of coral he heard about in RA?

Also, is there a way to dive in any of these three locations without having to sell a house?

Sorry about that, ADimitris. The easy part or your questions is combining Raja Ampat and Lembeh. There are daily, or close to daily, flights between Sorong (Raja Ampat) and Manado (Lembeh), so it’s simple to do both on the same trip, given time.

PNG is a major logistical challenge. We went through Australia, then to Port Moresby, and on to Walindi Resort in Kimbe Bay, a good resort where the only two liveaboards in PNG waters are home-ported. However, the dive season changes in late fall from Kimbe Bay to Milne Bay, which is good for muck and pelagics. Oceania’s itineraries move to Milne from late fall until spring, and it would be worth considering joining the liveaboard for a Milne trip; also, there is a good resort (Tufi) there. The waters are vast and truly remote; we saw no other divers (and only one or two other boats, other than dugouts) on a liveaboard trip. The diving is largely pristine. Extreme poverty is the norm. And as to the logistics—we were with three folks from Hawaii whose return home took three extra days.

Fiji is easy to get to—nightly nonstop flights from LAX and SFO to Nadi. Its reputation as the soft coral epicenter is deserve. Gorgeous! Decent macro, but I don’t recall any muck. The only liveaboard in Fijian waters, as far as I know, is the NAI’A. An older boat lovingly converted to a great dive boat. The diving from the boat is quite varied on the longer routes, including mantas, sharks, most all the things. We stayed at Volivoli resort, which we thought wonderful. The draw there is the opportunity to dive the Bligh Waters, an area of current confluence which makes for extremely rich waters, which can be sporty. The Fijian people are lovely and welcoming.

We’re going to Raja Ampat this fall for the first time, so I can’t comment on the diving. But as to your question about economical trips, there are lots of homestays which range widely in cost, amenities and convenience.

@rmorgan good intel there, but in general its a good idea to avoid recommending seasons (fall/spring) for travel, given that those seasons don't really exist in those destinations. PNG and Indonesia are equatorial, if not just south of the equator, and they tend to have wet season and dry season, not winter/summer/fall/spring.

They are also south of the equator, Fuji even more so - so if not wet/dry would follow the opposite season to the northern hemisphere.

Always best to refer to months of travel, not seasons.

Link for OP from 2021: Seven rob resort hold man hostage

PNG can be more of an adventure than you bargain for!
Roger that. There are almost certainly still headhunting tribes in the highlands, and Tawali (another resort) had a similar incident maybe 20 years ago. There’s a lot of wealth on display in a dive resort. Walindi’s approach has been to deeply integrate into the local fabric; they’ve built and fund a school on the resort grounds, the staff are almost all locals, and there are watchers watching at all times. Nonetheless, we’re keen to go back . . .

Roger that. There are almost certainly still headhunting tribes in the highlands, and Tawali (another resort) had a similar incident maybe 20 years ago. There’s a lot of wealth on display in a dive resort. Walindi’s approach has been to deeply integrate into the local fabric; they’ve built and fund a school on the resort grounds, the staff are almost all locals, and there are watchers watching at all times. Nonetheless, we’re keen to go back . . .
According to this article Tawali was robbed at least three times the last decade, the last in 2018 with guests being held hostage. Walindi is in a different area of PNG and on an island isolated from urban areas and their gangs, so no similar issues there that I'm aware of. But getting a flight in or out from mainland PNG can be an adventure.

Raja Ampat Homestay.
No need to mortgage your house or even selling your old car. I did not.

PNG?
Very very interesting place for travellers, pretty rough in the Highland.

Back
Top Bottom