Rainbow Warrior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

audission

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Will be over in NZ in March, staying in Auckland initially - how far north from the city is the Rainbow Warrior site, and is it accessible/dive centre nearby etc? I'd like to have it in the log book for historical reasons, mainly.

Also planning to do the Lermontov, but that's another story... crazy not to :wink:

The wreck is West of Motutapere Island, Matauri Bay, in the Cavalli Islands, at the Northern end of the North Island (35° 2.398' S
173° 57.176' E). I have no idea how or how long it would take to get there. It is a boat dive so I'd imagine you'd have to find a willing local or dive shop to take you there.

It's in 27m of water so you'll need to have AOW certification. If not, it can be done as an adventure dive through a dive shop.

A quick google came up with this mob that might be able to help.
Paihia Dive, Bay of Islands, New Zealand, Rainbow Warrior wreck diving

I'm pretty sure that you'll also need to have at least an Advanced to do the Mikhail Lermontov too - it's a tricky dive in deep cold and dark water.

The warrior is best dived from Matauri bay. At a guess its a 4 hour drive from central Auckland so its not really a day trip.
There is a local operator up there but im not sure who. There is also a camp ground who will have more details.
Matauri Bay. Northland. New Zealand

While you are up that way check out the Canterbury wreck with
northlanddive home

And the Poor Knights with
Poor Knights Divers, Poor Knights Islands, dive charters, diving, wreck diving, Tui, Waikato, dive equipment hire, Tutukaka, Northland, Whangarei

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom