R4 Trip - Rupiah - Where to get and how much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarnBrat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
upload_2016-12-5_13-0-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-5_12-59-19.png
    upload_2016-12-5_12-59-19.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 36
  • upload_2016-12-5_12-59-48.png
    upload_2016-12-5_12-59-48.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 28
  • upload_2016-12-5_13-0-14.png
    upload_2016-12-5_13-0-14.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 33
I just use ATMs at airports. Lately I've been using preloaded cash passport Visa cards which have worked on four continents this year. How much RP you will need will depend on your spending habits and tipping I guess. Jakarta airport has 24/7 cash exchanges but us look into a pre
loaded visa If they are available in US - not linked to your bank accounts and can be reloaded from your bank online or in post offices and banks

Last edited:
Most large US banks can get them for you...often directly through their online banking website if you already have an account...and they will deliver to you via Fedex.....couldn't be easier

I just find a money changer of bank in Sorong and change some over. You will not need to change much. The boat can often do small exchanges. You will find that many places take your credit card, and I have never had problems doing that. The shopping opportunities in Raja are few and far between. I use my credit card, whenever I can.
Take very new and crisp bills in 50's and 100's. The banks can be VERY picky not to take worn or old bills.

Jakarta airport money changers are OK but the best rates in your trip should be money changers Manado downtown.Don't change abroad, they will charge you fees or crappy rate.
There should be either an ATM or a money changer open at Jakarta airport in order to change a small amount to survive until 6AM. After then change in Manado (but not at the airport).
Considering 2 days trip in Manado I would keep 15USD each day to take a taxi to Manado and back to the hotel, 35USD for the dinner at Raja Sate for 2 persons and 10 USD miscellaneous (buy a Klapper taart at Cela Bakery to bring back to your room and enjoy with a coffee, etc.). For 2 days that would be 100-120USD, then in R4 try to stay nearby Royal Mamberamo there's an excellent carving and masks stall 400m walk up the road, Kotekas (Penis sheath) always make a good present they are sold around 10USD if you take some. Depending on what you expect to bring home count anything from 20USD to 100USD. There will be no restaurants worth outside your hotel so you just need too consider taxis to drive to the airport or elsewhere say 20USD.

All in all I would say 200 to 250USD equivalent in cash change (3Mils IDR) will be largely enough to live "la vida loca" for your 3 days, including souvenirs and eating out. If you still have some pocket money to spend on the way back buy Toraja or Papua coffee packs at the airport (NOT Luwak coffee which is a real scam), you'll be surprized how delicious they are.
As already said take two crisp bills of 100USD rather than a pocketful of 20USD notes which are worth not that much in Indonesia.

Rupiah are usually required at smaller airports to pay for overweight baggage. I try to stock up at ATM's & take home extra for next trip to Indonesia. Boats, hotels & dive resorts typically accept c/c & USD. Rp is preferred for local shopping etc.
Check with your bank for daily ATM withdrawal limit. Mine is $300 USD/day. Current exchange rate is about 13,400 Rp/USD. If you're just flying in, dive RA & fly out you shouldn't need much. Garuda allows an extra 23kg of diving equipment at no charge (as of 2 wks ago), which is a big help if you can fly with them. If you fly into Jakarta you will need to change terminals for domestic flights. International flights arrive at Terminal 2, Garuda domestic uses new Terminal 3, Lion uses Terminal 1.

Last edited:
YES!!
I forgot about the overweight charges. You must have enough rupiah to pay that, and pay you WILL....or else....As a photographer, they really got me on one trip. I ended up paying almost 300.00, all told, for my overweight. They almost made me miss my flight, when I didn't have the correct amount in rupiah.

Remember that if you tip with USD they can be hard for Indonesians to deal with, unless you're tipping in nice crispy new hundred dollar bills.

Wow, thanks so much for all the tips e everyone! I am definitely going to print out this thread and add to our travel docs!

One more qustion, can alcohol be purchased at a reasonable price in Manado? We'd like to bring a few bottles of liquor with us on the boat.

In Manado you'll have the choice between beer Bintang or SanMiguel, Philippines imported rum Tanduay and possibily wine made in Bali, other than that everything will be expensive.
Stock up your own at the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom