quoting from a prior post?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1982shawn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not sure where i should have posted this. I see people that put quotes of old posts in their response, so i tried it... is there a way to select just the phrase you want without having to go back and delete all the extra stuff that isnt the part of the phrase you wanted to quote?

No. If you select to quote a post, the entire post is quoted in the response. You will have to manually edit/delete the parts that aren't relevant and that you wish to exclude.

You can highlight the text you want to quote, cut and paste it into your post, then highlight it in your post and hit the quote icon (the white one at the end of the toolbar) - which yields this:

You can highlight the text you want to quote

But it will lose it's attribution to the poster and link to the post it came from (the little blue arrow)

One compromise is to add = followed by the posters name to the quoted segment. Like this:

[QUOTE=1982shawn]without having to go back and delete all the extra stuff that isnt the part of the phrase you wanted to quote?
[/QUOTE]

which looks like this:

1982shawn:
without having to go back and delete all the extra stuff that isnt the part of the phrase you wanted to quote?

Or just make something up

Abraham Lincoln:
The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to know if they are real.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom