Quiz - Physics - Approximate Time A Tank of Air Lasts

If it takes a diver 90 minutes to breathe all the air from a scuba tank at the surface, ...

• a. 22.5 minutes

• b. 20 minutes

• c. 30 minutes

• d. 37.5 minutes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you arrive at the 23 min? I can find a similar number -- slightly larger -- by multiplying the FSW answer by 1.03, since salt water is 3% denser than sweet water. However, intuitively that does not strike me as correct. I would expect the pressure difference to increase with depth, rather than remaining flat at 3%. Ie to answer this correctly we would need an expression that captures the diverging pressure as a function of the depth. Something like 1.03 ^ depth. Am I off base here, or onto something?

i used the standard that pressure changes by 1ATM every 33 feet in salt water and every 34 feet in fresh water. So 99/34+1 = 3.9117 ATA vs 4 ATA in salt water, hence slightly less ATA and slightly more gas.

dang I just took one atmosphere at the surface and ratio'd it to 4 at 99 ft

And you were correct to do so. We're noodling through the fresh water "what if."

Remember PADI questions assume saltwater unless said otherwise

The 3% takes care of that. 3% of a big depth is more than 3% of a small depth.
Oh yeah. *face palm*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom