Quintana Roo - Jan 2022 Orange/Red Alert Questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sinistar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

We are heading down in about 3wks and just saw this:

I've probably been to Cozumel 40 times and news like this is often hard to decode as to what is being said vs what is actually happening. So if anyone can help answer these questions it would be great:

1. Does the alert system apply to all of QR or will this be selective for the Cancun area?
2. If it goes to the highest alert (red?) do dive shops have to stop running trips?
3. If we are there and test positive prior to our return can we still be outside? Dive?
4. Do most (busy) restaurants at least still deliver?
5. Are there any weird restrictions on going to the Mega or Chedraui?
6. Assuming Carnival was indefinitely postponed prior to this?
7. Are cruise ships still coming in?
8. We're in a VRBO so I suspect alert level occupancy restrictions don't apply.

...we're all vaxxed and boosted and have already had Covid so mainly worried about Dive shops being shutdown for our normal stay and any restrictions if we get stuck there. Thanks,

- Brad

Since this isn't officially in effect yet and as you said it's hard to tell "what is being said vs what is actually happening", who knows? It isn't happening on the ground yet.

It should go without saying that if you test positive you should be in quarantine, not out and about going diving or to bars and restaurants. You're contagious and masks don't do squat for omicron. Food delivery is widespread on Coz.

Since re-opening in June 2020 I don't think Coz has followed QRoo into red and dive shops have been running ever since. We were there 3 times each in 2020 and 2021, even when there were capacity restrictions we found ourselves on pretty full dive boats. The dive ops not running would be the last thing I'd worry about.

Hi,

We are heading down in about 3wks and just saw this:

I've probably been to Cozumel 40 times and news like this is often hard to decode as to what is being said vs what is actually happening. So if anyone can help answer these questions it would be great:

1. Does the alert system apply to all of QR or will this be selective for the Cancun area?
2. If it goes to the highest alert (red?) do dive shops have to stop running trips?
3. If we are there and test positive prior to our return can we still be outside? Dive?
4. Do most (busy) restaurants at least still deliver?
5. Are there any weird restrictions on going to the Mega or Chedraui?
6. Assuming Carnival was indefinitely postponed prior to this?
7. Are cruise ships still coming in?
8. We're in a VRBO so I suspect alert level occupancy restrictions don't apply.

...we're all vaxxed and boosted and have already had Covid so mainly worried about Dive shops being shutdown for our normal stay and any restrictions if we get stuck there. Thanks,

- Brad

1) Yes the alert system is supposed to apply to all of Q Roo - in the past, Cozumel was in much better shape than say Cancun or Chetumal and Pedro (the Cozumel president, mayor or whatever) would say that what the governor says doesn't apply to us here in Cozumel but... Pedro was voted out and Juanita doesn't seem to be that kinda person and really she probably shouldn't - we are no better than anywhere else in Q Roo. There is a lot of people sick here - enough people that they are closing stores sometimes because the staff is all sick.

Two weeks ago, there were huge lines at the hospital and at the testing center on 65 and 11 - those lines are gone now, maybe you'll see a few people in line but it is almost back to narmal. That doesn't mean there ain't a whole bunch sick though.....

2) We are at orange on Monday, that used to mean 50% on boats I think but now it's 70% - you'll still see full boats this week because most all our boats are rated for more people than we are permited for..... The color anouncement is made on Thursdays and take effect the following Monday.... I don't see it going red and shutting things down

3) If you test positive you think you are getting on someones boat?? Come on....
4) Everyone delivers
5) No Mega or Chedraui restrictions, mask of course
6) Yes Carnival was postphoned 2-4 weeks ago
7) Yes cruise ships are coming, I've heard of two ships cancelling four sailings total but they are almost at normal and have been
8) They are putting the restriction at 70% occupancy but you really think they'll cancel a reservation? We aren' screaming busy right now, I'd guess hotels are in the 60-80% occupied range anyways.

I seen the other day that Aldora is requiring a negative test before you can start diving with them, maybe other shops will follow that idea. Before someone gets all worked up about that, think about any dive shop and how easy it would be for one person to spread it throughout the entire shop. I know of three banks that closed and pizza hutt because everyone was sick - no one wants that and they are trying their best at preventing it.

Is it safe here? It's as safe as anywhere else from what I see. Be aware is all really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom