Quicksilver/Diversity and other Au Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valwood1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're going to GBR in October and are looking for a fairly-nice liveaboard. Two questions:

1. Has anyone been on the Diversity? If so, could you share some opinions about it, and the diving from it?

2. Does Mike Ball still charge a "surcharge" for US residents? I'm not disputing his right to charge whatever the market will bear and don't want to begin that debate again, but I am curious if the practice continues.

Thanks for the help.

Check out the Undersea Explorer while you're at it.

It operates 7 day trips from Port Douglas, which is slightly north of Cairns and much lovelier, and visits Osprey Reef/North Horn as well as Lizard Island and the Cod Hole.

It's not an Aggressor/Peter Hughes- level boat, but I thought it was fairly nice...nicer than the Mike Ball boat I took elsewhere. Though to be fair, that one was retired not terribly long thereafter.

from Townsville recently and met a guy named Phil who worked for Diversion Travel - these guys personally go on all the boats they recommend (or don't recommend!) first so they can give firsthand experiences to potential clients. The boat we were on, "Aquarius III" was running a new liveaboard route so Phil was there to check it out so he could offer honest advice to anyone considering diving with them. He asked other divers onboard their opinions without revealing to all of them why he was there. All round good guy from what I coud tell!

They have a website:

www.diversionoz.com

I just found this on the "Diversity" you were asking about - and its a relief to know that its not just the "advertising" junk that the boat sends to agencies, but the actual comments from someone working at Diversion who would have checked the boat out.

http://www.diversionoz.com/en/diversity.htm

Also, Phil and I were talking a bit about Mike Ball, so if you send him an email maybe he can answer your queries.

Hope this is helpful!

Cheers!

Last Friday night on the travel channel there was a spot about the Coral Sea and the dive boat Diversity based out of Port Douglas. The spot showed just before 10pm EST. Looks good to me!:wink:

Caymaniac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom