Quick WA Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TightLines

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A very quick last minute question for you guys:

I'm leaving for Thailand in exactly 1 week (5 day liveaboard) and am debating picking up a wide angle wet mount, specifically the FIX UWL-04.

I had been waiting to hopefully find a used one come up either here or Wetpixel but haven't had any luck.

Current setup is an S90 in an Ike housing with 1 S2000.

Possibly the biggest issue is that this will be my first time using a good underwater rig (something capable of taking good photos).

Now, in your opinion would it make sense to pick up a wide angle lens or stick with the basics and get a feeling for the new rig while on the trip.

Since UW is practically new to me would this be overkill?

Thanks for your help and safe diving.

I would get the lens, but shoot it relatively shallow and with natural light. The problem with your strobe is that it is great for macro (I have 3) but not so bright for shooting wrecks say.
Have fun. Take a slate down with you and write down what you shot and when and what settings. That is a good way to learn.
Bill

If you can afford it get the WA lens......

I think that underwater WA is the way to go for all shots but the closest macro shots....

M

I am not sure the Fisheye UWL-04 would be a good choice for that housing. Unfortunately the Ikelite housings is somewhat non-optimal placing the camera well back from the port glass. Then they put a 67mm port on it which is normally good but the UWL-04 is a 52mm thread so you will have to use the supplied 52mm to 67mm step up adapter which will set the lens another 1/8 inch or more forward of what is already a less than good position.

N

Well, back to the drawing board for me.

I'm really stuck between wide angle (S90 strong suit) and going W-20 or UWL-04 and macro (S90 downside) with the UCL165 67mm.

My real indecision is based on which I could achieve the most effectively without a wet lens. IE, what kind of macro photos can be achieved w/o a wet mount lens vs. what kind of larger subject (not necessarily WA) can be achieved w/o a wet mount?

Thanks for the help with the last minute questions but I honestly have been so busy that I forgot about rounding out my setup.

I would say "Yes, get the FIX UWL04 for your S90/Ike". Here's why, click here The strobe is a single YS-01, so similar to what you're looking to do with your S2000.

I am not sure the Fisheye UWL-04 would be a good choice for that housing. Unfortunately the Ikelite housings is somewhat non-optimal placing the camera well back from the port glass. Then they put a 67mm port on it which is normally good but the UWL-04 is a 52mm thread so you will have to use the supplied 52mm to 67mm step up adapter which will set the lens another 1/8 inch or more forward of what is already a less than good position.

While I would agree that the port placement on the housing could have been better, UWL-04 is still significantly wider than any other lens we've tested on the Ikelite S90 and S95 housings after zooming to eliminate vignetting. I would recommend it as the best choice, and I've actually used it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Any input as to what the camera can achieve without a wet lens. Again, would the wide angle or macro be better bets without a lens?

I'm trying to drive down the middle and pick up a single wet lens (WA or macro) and still be able to achieve reasonable photos in both scenarios.

Hi Muzikbizz22,
Very good photos.

In the "Blue Horizon & Star" one, what was the focal lens (35mm equivalent) you used?
It was all zooming wide?

Looks like good FOV, but there is some "soft corners".

Good dives
M.Oliveira

I'm .. debating picking up a wide angle wet mount, specifically the FIX UWL-04. Current setup is an S90 in an Ike housing with 1 S2000.
Possibly the biggest issue is that this will be my first time using a good underwater rig (something capable of taking good photos).

Now, in your opinion would it make sense to pick up a wide angle lens or stick with the basics and get a feeling for the new rig while on the trip.

Since UW is practically new to me would this be overkill?...

I try to be conservative when I'm diving, so I'd say -- yep, overkill. We all have gear envy, but balance it with judgment. You are going to a new site/country with new gear. Get familiar with your camera first -- it's a nice setup but there will be a learning curve. If you have a wide and macro wet lens to juggle, it adds to the complexity. You might even drop one, then lose it without realizing. If you decide to get the wide lens, I'd suggest putting it on before the dive and leaving it on.

The S2000 is best for macro/close work, so start by mastering that. You setup will focus very close with the S90 in macro mode with the lens at widest zoom setting.

Macro Places: I don't know where you will be diving, but the water clarity is not great in the Gulf of Thailand - it's much better around Phuket on the West Coast. Macro is great on all the Koh .. Islands (see the nudibranch below).

I did a livaboard off the West Coast, out of Khao Lak for ten days -- very nice. I dove with a small outfit, Sea Dragon, which was very laid back but professional.
http://www.khaolak.com//URL]

Wide angle heaven: Richelieu Rock is a fantastic site and the weather is OK for that now (best from Nov-May). Last time I was there a whale shark passed by (missed it becuz buddy had trouble and we had to go up early). The batfish below were at Richelieu. This is where you will die for super wide angle. But I still say be conservative, you can always go back.

Attachments

• Koh dive.jpg
    Koh dive.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 34
  • batfish school.jpg
    batfish school.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Nudibranch 3.jpg
    Nudibranch 3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 28
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back