Quick trip report - PG Atlantis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mich327

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice in January, my trip to Puerto Galera over Chinese New Year was great! Thought I'd give a very quick trip report in case it helps somebody else in the future.

We ended up stayed at Atlantis - the resort is kept up nicely, but it's not luxury, despite what it is marketed as. Still, it wasn't bad, and the staff was very friendly and helpful, making the stay very pleasant. The real highlight, though, was the dive operation. The Atlantis dive operation was hands down the best run operation I've seen. They had a high ratio of DMs to guests and took excellent care of our gear. It might be a bit much for those who are used to getting dropped off at a site and told to be back in 45 minutes or so, but I loved it. I also took advantage of the unlimited diving and dove 4 times/day several times. Do note that the last dive of the day was often uneventful since the color was fading, but it was still fun. The biggest disappointment was the night diving - didn't see anything different than during the day. Was hoping for an octopus or something. Maybe it was just the luck of the draw that night?

The best thing is that unlike some dive locations, every site was close to the shore, making it easy to come back to the resort in between dives. The diving was pretty good, but the real highlight was Verde Island. In my opinion, no trip to PG is complete without diving there.

Overall, the diving was better than I had expected. It wasn't as pristine as PNG, but it was more interesting and colorful than some places I've been to in the Caribbean. Also, PG has tons and tons of nudibranches - more than I've seen anywhere else I've been. In sum, a great trip!

Glad too hear you had a great trip!!

I personaly thought it to be a pretty Darn Nice place and luxuriant!!

I also found the diving and the diving crew (Dive Masters) and boat crew's to be outstanding.

Though I am sorry to hear that you did not have the same very awesome night diving that I did and I did many with paul.

Is paul still there by the way he and I did a lot of dives .

I also agree with you on Verdi Island wall dive, If you pass up that trip you miss a hell of a lot!!

Again I am glad to hear you had a great time!!!

That's too bad that you didn't have nice night dives. So far, I'm loving the night dives! Weather Sabang wrecks, Sabang point, or my personal favorite (all time) night dive: the Alma Jane Wreck.... It was great! We saw tons of great stuff, amongst which the cuttlefish, eels, all the crabs and shrimps, pipefish, sea moths... Lots of great stuff! Especially the wrecks I find. They really come alive at night!

Anyways, glad you had a great time!

Cheers!:coffee:

no different stuff during night dive? *shocked* where were you diving? Sabang wreck/Sabang Bay have the most awesome stuff during nighttime!

but, i am glad you enjoyed the trip. and yes, you are very correct about nudibranches. Now, you must dive Anilao, Batangas and the nudibranches there will BLOW you away. :)

Good report...call'em like you see'em.......I am a little surprised about the night critters though...hmm, they must have had the night off or something. Good reason for you to come back to paradise. Verde Island is the SHIZNIT!!! I am glad we have a lot of "VERDE ISLAND" types in the Visayas!

Atlantis is terrific, the staff is what makes it great along with the amazing food. I have rediscovered Atlantis Dumaguete and I'm headed back there on the 10th after just a month away. Very professional and I too highly recommend them.

glad to hear your had fun. on the night dive i'd have to agree with jag, luck of the draw. maybe the critters were on holiday too :D

sabang wreck, just in front of atlantis is really great for a night dive. octopus, turtles, nudis (big azz ones), frogfishes. :)

Night dive was just in front of Atlantis. Ah, well, maybe next time! Actually, I liked the Atlantis experience so much, I think I'll go to check out their Duma resort next :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom