Quick Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost Yooper

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We managed to get out this past weekend with Jeff (AKA Great Lakes Diver here on SB) and his buds. We dove the Straits of Mackinaw with my favorite dive charter -- Abyss Dive Charters.

Saturday

First dive was the Eber Ward (140' max). Water temp was 45F on the bottom and vis neared 100'. One member of the group, Fred, lost his pony bottle upon getting into the water and let me know about it when he hit the wreck and asked me to go find it. I did. It was about 100' off the wreck. The planned mild deco dive quickly turned into a 35 min deco obligation. Naturally, for some reason my suit leaked through the neck seal very badly -- no deco gasses and 45F water :cold:. Dive time was 75min. Unknown to me at the time, Dan (the Capt.) had O2 all ready to go on the boat (with reg and all) :banging:.

The second dive for the group was the Sandusky (80' max or so). I didn't go due to being cold. They had a great dive.

Sunday

First dive was on the Eber Ward again. There were two groups of three this time diving the wreck (all diving single 100's). We went down with the first group and gave them a good tour of the wreck. Just as we finished that tour, the second group (less experienced) came down the line and I gave them a short tour. This time I brought 50% with me and had O2 brought down to me to finish off at 20'. I recalculated my deco time while on the line for using O2. My dive time was about 60mins or so. Great dive :thumb:.

On the second dive the group went on the Cedarville (40'-110'). I decided to sit out and just relax on the boat. They had a great dive.

All in all, it was a great weekend. Most of the divers we took out hadn't been diving on these wrecks before, and I really enjoy taking out divers who haven't been to these beauties.

Thanks for coming up Jeff.

Mike

To all the viewers.

We did have a great time at the straits. And yes it was believe it or not, my first time there. The wreck's were great; no they were AWSOME...... And to top it all off, we had one of the moose experienced YOOPERS as a tour guide. Thanks Mike.

We did do four dives and even though some things got changed around, no fault of Mike or Abyss dive charters (and if I may add, my hat goes off to Dan Block) we all had a great time. And I think we only seen 70 or 80 lake freighters pass us under the Mackinac bridge the whole weekend. Wow shipping must be slow.

Now Mike's story about the long deco hang; well let me say, we were starting to wonder if we should swim to shore, grab a bite to eat, catch a movie, take a trip to Mackinac island and then swim back. I have a feeling we would have had time. Just kidding. We had fun. And to top the whole weekend off Friday night when we got into town and stopped at a sport's bar(Driftwood sports bar) right across the street from the boat. We headed in and watched the RED WINGS whip the Avalanche to advance to the final's. Go wings.

Mike it was great diving with you and your dad. You were both very friendly and helpful and that is from all of us. One of the coolest things was finally meeting and diving with someone from here on the Scuba board.

Jeff Great lakes diver

P.S. I don't have a 100cf tank.. I have a 108cf tank....ha, ha.:moose:

Originally posted by Lost Yooper

All in all, it was a great weekend. Most of the divers we took out hadn't been diving on these wrecks before, and I really enjoy taking out divers who haven't been to these beauties.

Sounds like one hell of a weekend! One of these days I'm going to get out that way. My dive club heads to NC every year, but I'm thinking I might try to get a great lakes trip going...

Hmm... or maybe try to get one going through here! "Wreckmania III - The Northern Exposure".

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom