Quick question on Apeks face plates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPEEDSTER

Reaction score
Well, I fianally upgraded to the apeks atx stuff after waiting for what seems like forever, but now I've got a question... how do the faceplates come off? My old regs you just grabbed the front of it and twisted, but the atx doesn't appear so simple. I only had a chance to glance them over before I had to get back to work, so this may seem silly once I get back and really look at them.

Thanks,
mike

ATX200 faceplates twist off... but they are stiffer than my TX regs. Although my TX50's faceplate seems to have stuck itself on and I can't remove it. Be careful not to cross thread the faceplate replacing it, as the threads are only plastic, and will deform easily.

Yeah, they just twist off but they are kinda tight...at least mine are anyway.

Here's what might help: Take a set of needle-nosed pliers, insert them into two of the openings in the faceplate that are as far away from each other as the pliers will open (don't worry about puncturing the diaphragm, there's a plastic cover inside that prevents foreign objects from doing just that), using the pliers as a lever - twist counterclockwise. Should come right off. This worked for me, but be careful so as not to put nicks into the faceplate with the pliers. Also, don't push down on the pliers, the plastic cover inside will only take so much. They do screw them in a bit tight at the factory, don't they? Hope this helps!

-Roman.

Does it come off easier once you've done that, then replaced looser? My concern is not being able to remove the f/p u/w to clear it if necessary. I can't imagine carrying pliers everytime I dive!:wink: Ugh, new equipment.

mike

SPEEDSTER once bubbled...
Does it come off easier once you've done that, then replaced looser? My concern is not being able to remove the f/p u/w to clear it if necessary. I can't imagine carrying pliers everytime I dive!:wink: Ugh, new equipment.

mike

Once you've screwed it back in, it should come right off if you only hand-tighten it. I didn't have any problems removing it by hand on land, but I haven't tried it underwater. Hmm... something to do next time I dive, maybe... :)

-Roman.

Before you bring out the big guns (pliers) try a soft touch. Using the thumb on the right hand and index finger on the left, stick the digits in opposite holes on the face plate and apply counterclockwise force. Of course, one hand should be holding the hose to steady the main body. That way you are sure not to damage the reg unnecessarily. This usually does the trick with face plates on my air2's. If it is stubborn, try soaking and use heat and cold to loosen it. Soak the whole thing in warm water then rest just the plate , face down, on an ice cube. If that doesn't work, maybe then bring out the harder tools and be careful. Metal can beat plastic every time so don't force it. When you get it apart, give the threads a light coat of lube. That should make it easier next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom