Quick question about decompression mode on predator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A few weeks ago, I was on a trip in FL. I spent 4 days doing 6 pretty agressive decompression cave dives (2 dives per day on the first 2 days & 1 dive per day on the last 2 days). The depths were generally 90- 100 ft & bottom times were about 80 min. with 20 min deco, give or take a few minutes on 100% Oxygen at 20 ft. My buddy had a more conservative setting on his preadtor, so I usually did more than was recommended on mine. I was diving VPM-B with a conservative setting of +2. I was diving Nitrox 31- 32%

I sat out in between the cave diving & a dive trip to Panama City beach for about 36 hrs. On the Panama City Beach dives, the depths ranged from 70- 100 ft & total dive time was usually about 50 min.- to 60 min. I was being more conservative & diving 31% Nitrox as Air on the computers. On a few dives I did rack up 5- 10 min of deco. On some of my 20 ft deco stops (done on back gas, no O2), I would wait & it would time down, sometimes it seemed very slowly. It would clear me & I would just begin my ascent & the next thing I see is it is saying I'm violating my obligation. I would drop back down, wait the 1- 3 min. it said I still had, clear me & do the same thing. On one dive it did this to me 4- 5 times before it cleared me of my obligation & stayed clear. I had the final deco stop depth set at 20 ft for these dives. I was confused to say the least. Either I was clear as it said, or I wasn't. I dive 2 predators, one is about 2 yrs old & the other about a year. They were both doing the same thing. I had decent profiles & good ascents, using an anchor line to control it, the water was calm, so I wasn't tossed up & down on the anchor line. Just curious about what was going on.

I'd like to see the answer to this. Haven't done any deco yet on mine so will be insteresting to see. I also have not yet unlocked the VPM feature. Was planning on that here shortly. When was the last time you upgraded them?

This happened to me on the previous firmware. I had my last stop set to 20ft but I did my short hang @ 15 on 28% backgas. The stop depth was red but would flash deco clear. Then I would ascend a little and go right back to deco then flash deco clear about 30 seconds later. My vt3 showed me clear before ascendind to the surface. So I change my last stop to 10ft and upgraded to the latest firmware (46) and it worked flawlessly this past weekend. My instructor was diving a petrel and it worked flawlessly as well.

Tammy, I've had this happen as well. After some investigation, it turns out that if you come above your deco stop depth for a cumulation of 60 seconds, you will get the deco stop violation message. If your deco stop is 20 ft for 10 min, and in that time you drift to 19 ft 60 times for 1 sec or 4 times for 15 sec, or any variation of that, you get the message. You will get the deco clear when deco time is complete despite having some violations in depth. It is a good thing for accident investigation where a diver has surfaced and the returned to depth withing 5 minutes, but is an annoyance with the multiple small violations, to me it became a reminder to really strive to maintain depth with in a foot of accuracy without ascending above my deco depth.

Tammy,

Check the graph for the dive in the desktop software.

I dive one predator with GFs of 30/85 and the other with VPM-B +2 and the differences are fairly minor on the average N FL deco cave dive.

I've noted that the VPM-B enabled predator with the prior version of the firmware would oscillate between a 20' stop requirement and a 10' stop requirement, and if you ride the computer upward from 20' as soon as it clears, I've noted it can decide you still need to be at 20' and then give you a violation. My understanding is that V.46 firmware solves this problem. If that was the case, you'll see the saw tooth pattern in the 10 versus 20 ft stop (the red area on the graph) in the graph for the dive in the desktop software.

Back
Top Bottom