Quick Draw with 8" Diameter Primary Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markfm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a Quick Draw pony holder. It's designed for a 7.25" diameter tank. Question -- will it work OK with an E8 tank? I know that it won't have the same gripping area as when mounted to a smaller-diameter tank, but wonder if it should be "good enough".

(I'm looking at an E8-119, but really want to have the pony too, and no, I don't want to switch to a sling.)

Anyone with actual experience diving a Quick Draw on an E8, or similar 8" tank?

Thanks.

Hi Markfm. When you say the QD is designed for 7.25" diameter tanks I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean to say that the concave of the female mounting piece is designed for 7.25" d tanks, and so you are concerned if it will sit firmly/flushly on an 8" d ta? The male-side/pony-side band is designed for 13/19 cu ft ponies (in the std model), so I assume you are asking about the female mounting piece. If so, and if this is a genuine issue, I too am interested in feedback--I was planning on purchasing a QD first thing tomorrow morning, and I dive a an LP95, which of course is 8" d.

Hi Mark. I can see 2 issues with what you're proposing:

1) Quick draw pony brackets are a dicey option to a question better answered. What happens if there is a catastrophic gas loss? Can you reach the valve to stop the gas?

2) Hoping that the Quick draw pony brackets are "good enough" is also not a good way to go. Are you willing to find out at 110FFW that said bracket isn't "good enough"? Not I.

Working on your SAC rate, diving a bigger single tank, going with doubles, or properly slinging a deco bottle in my mind are all much more apropriate responses to the question at hand (with proper training first, of course).

Derek -- Thanks for the input, but I use a pony for bail-out (redundancy) purposes, do have one, like it. Yes, I dive with buddies, but I still like having a bail-out supply independent of my primary. I don't do tech, don't place myself in spots where a 40 is needed; the 19 has enough capacity to get me up, with safety stop. Also, it's quite easy to turn on/off when mounted inverted, and I do practice.

It is, indeed, the female side that I'm curious about, the part that mounts to the main tank. The QD is designed for a 7.25" diameter main tank (eg, an AL80, or E7 series). If you put a QD against an E8, it will "grip" at the two edges of the bracket, but not in the center section, because the E8 has different curvature. I'm not sure if it would be good enough to just have those two attachment edges, or if it might cause damage to the main tank, or...

I'm thinking that perhaps a small rubber pad, on the inside edge, would do the job OK, but am seeking input on this.

(I actually just bought an E7 100, so no issue right now, but I still like the E8 119 and would like to know if a QD would be OK with it)

Thanks again.
(I've also sent an inquiry direct to QuickDraw, just wondered if SB members had experience with this.)

I've got 2 E7-100s, they are nice tanks, trim out nicely. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to double them up or just go with some AL80s instead and keep them as singles.

Dive safe!

D

Mark.

Can I trouble you for some measurements (H x W) of the Quick Draw female mount? Also, I've asked the following question of the QD people but have not yet received a reply, so I thought I might ask you: Can two layers of cam band--Velcroed together--be threaded through the female mount without affecting the pin alignment when receiving the pony-side mount? Thanks, Mahjong

mahjong:
Mark.

Can I trouble you for some measurements (H x W) of the Quick Draw female mount? Also, I've asked the following question of the QD people but have not yet received a reply, so I thought I might ask you: Can two layers of cam band--Velcroed together--be threaded through the female mount without affecting the pin alignment when receiving the pony-side mount? Thanks, Mahjong

It's 3.5" H x 3-7/8"W, where the 3-7/8"W is edge-to-edge across the curved part; if you measure along the curvature, the actual metal is about 4-1/8". Very nicely crafted, the radius of curvature is perfect for a standard AL80 7.25" diameter (or E7) tank.

With a single thickness of cam band, the QD is rock-tight on an AL80 -- I spent a week doing boat dives, back rolls all, no fear of slippage. Should be no issue with a doubled band, if that's what you prefer -- the channel part where the cam band(s) go is almost 1/4" deep.

Quite convenient -- I leave the receiver permanently mounted on my cam band, just need to pull one pin to be able to remove or insert the pony bottle. If you use a 19CF bottle, balance it with a 2lb weight on the other side of the primary tank.

Nice product, does what I want (I know others like slings, or alternate pony mounts).

Thanks Mark. The QD sounds solid, at least with a 7.25" tank. Heard from them yet re the 8" tank? I received no response from them today on my question.

Mahjong

No response on use with an E8.

I have used mine fairly often with Aluminum 100s and they work fine. Not a wobble or problem. The rubber pad prevents slip and i have not noticed any issues whatsoever.

LJ

Back
Top Bottom