Quick Diving Survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justint99

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, my name is Justin. I am a Senior at the Darla Moore School of Business at the University of South Carolina. I have developed this quick survey to get a better understanding of Scuba Divers from all walks of life and their preferred methods of arranging dives This survey mostly deals with renting equipment and all answers are optional. The responses will be used to help in tailoring dive experiences for those that enjoy scuba diving. Any information entered into the survey is totally anonymous and confidential. Thank you!

I take it that if one doesn't rent equipment, one should just leave those questions unanswered? Is that what you mean by "all answers are optional"? Many divers never rent equipment because they own everything they need, but I'm guessing you know that.

The last question smacks of this being a marketing information grab.

Not hitting the submit button since my gmail account (survey is google doc) would be likely associated with it.

I have never rented equipment in 32 yrs of driving, never will unless something broke. I didn't click submit either, i agree it felt like an info grab

A strange survey regarding the equipment, as a novice I only consider my equipment, I know what I have and how it works. Safety is the most important in today's crazy times

Many travel divers have all of their gear except for tanks and weights. I might consider renting a BC because of the size and weight, but that would be all. Most trips are live aboard and have guides/dive masters included. Maybe a new diver would need to rent gear.

I think it could be interesting. Not to pick on millennials, but let's say younger people today are comfortable with renting all kinds of things rather than owning. Things that we used to think of as products are now marketed as services. I'm too old to be comfortable renting dive gear, but I can envision a future where top-quality dive gear could be ordered with an app and waiting for the diver at their destination, perhaps independent of the dive operation the diver will be using. Who knows. It's not for me, but maybe it's part of the future.

I have all my gear. Tanks are the only thing I’ve ever rented at the very beginning of my diving. As a cold water diver, I’m not even going to bother with the survey.

They tried to implement the Australia identification card
The people well they said no an infringement on privacy
Now all the same people and a few more carry a mobile

First year or two rented everything but masks fins and snorkels. Did the same with the kids. They are still renting BCs, that will likely end this year since they are all pretty much done growing. Take a peek at the rental room at a busy dive resort, often lots of empty pegs. On bigger boats I see lots of gear marked rental.

For travel it mostly it boils down to cost vs hassle, bringing your own gear is a hassle
renting gear is costly. If I was going to do a dive or two on a cruise (not sure why I would be on a cruise) I would probably rent everything but reg/comp.

Back
Top Bottom