Quick buckle question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I am trying to set this plate up. Do DIR divers place the waist buckle over the left hip, center or over the right hip? If it goes over the right hip but with the actual buckle fixed to the strap coming from the left side that leaves the unfinished end of the right waist strap flapping about? How do you guys do it before I cut my harness and make it for real. Oh, and thanks. N

Nemrod:
I am trying to set this plate up. Do DIR divers place the waist buckle over the left hip, center or over the right hip? If it goes over the right hip but with the actual buckle fixed to the strap coming from the left side that leaves the unfinished end of the right waist strap flapping about? How do you guys do it before I cut my harness and make it for real. Oh, and thanks. N

The buckle is attached to the left waist strap, and when in use sits to the right of center. Dead center sits the crotch strap.

You cut the length of the right strap to just beyond the buckle when closed. If you want to make it a bit longer, just tuck it into the crotch strap loop, or put a section of inner tube just beyond the buckle to secure the flap.

Thanks so much. I had seen that link a while back and completely forgot about it. Thanks Jacques and Dave. N

Nemrod:
.......... Thanks Jacques and Dave. N

Those are our alter-egos.

Most of the time I dive in a lycra skin or a thin--up to 3 mil wet suit (for a true 70s look I was thinking white bell bottom hippie jeans and tie die T-shirt). I am leaving extra in the waist strap area so that it could be pulled up into the shoulder straps to allow more room. I made the crotch strap but probably will not need it. I still have a actual waist--lol----and this allows me to cinch the waist strap down and everything stays in place. I have never had diffuculty with other backpacks riding up. BUT--I made the crotch strap and if I need it I got it. I can see if flying a scooter or messing around in a dry suit the crotch strap could be useful. I think I got the thing DIR compliant. I will post a pic later. My problem is that I dive solo some, vintage some and recreational (advanced) and off of my own boat and kayak and also occasionally take a vacation trip so I wanted something that would cross all these lines. Thr BP system I have will do that I think. It is the aluminum plate with STA. I am having custom double bands made for my "vintage 50 cf doubles. The STA will work with my steel 72s, aluminum 80s and the PST tanks I may order when all that stuff going on with them settles out. The backplate actually looks good vintage, there were aluminum/metal plates way back, not exactly like this one but not to different. Not only that--but ---I have mounted my Seatec "wing" BC to the plate. Of course vintage there is no BC or I use my horsecollar or CO2 vest or nothing. That is the marvel of the plate system. It can do almost anything from DIR cave diving to vintage diving without changing the basic set up. Thanks for all the help, I know when I need to understand something this is where the Pros are. N (I ain't got no 7' long hose and I ain't gonna get one)

Also.... if anyone knows a good source for a good waist buckle, do post. I have 3 rigs and one is needing a new buckle on it. I see a big difference in buckle quality on them. Not sure where the other buckles came from (Look like Halcyon).

Anyway if anyone knows of a good source it'd be appreciated. Thnx.

Here are two pics with me wearing the plate. I had to put the wetsuit on to get the crotch strap and shoulders to the correct sizing. I have the plate sitting a little lower than what is normal practice I think because I am using twin 50 aluminums with a double hose regulator and this allows/requires the plate to sit rather lower. The plate is the HammerHead alumium with their harness kit and two piece STA. Oh, I was laughing because Seinfeld was on the TV. N

Nemrod.... what is that big orange thing on your side? You're not planning on doing anything UNUSUAL are you? lol. ("Stirred not shakin"). Looks like a Bond knife? Pick up a black Remora, and you'll be way too cool for school.

How much was the two piece STA?

Shoulder D rings look like they might could go up just a tad. Maybe 1/2" or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom