Quick and dirty suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flybigjet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings--

Long story short-- I have to lock in my vacation in the next two days for this/next year.

I've already got Chuuk & the Odyssey booked for April 2020.

Did Guam & Palau last year, so they're off the list.

I have two weeks from mid-August until mid-Oct 2019. Can't move the dates much due to my wife's MBA classes. Airfare isn't a biggie, although being able to fly on United Airlines from the west coast is a plus (discount).

Going with my wife and another couple (four total)

Looking for non-liveaboard (this time) in Asia. Nudi's are a plus, good vis, etc. With possible shore excursions-- but monsoon season is a concern.

Our other option is a cooking tour of Italy (or something in Europe)-- but another dive trip was suggested at the last moment, so I'm trying to figure out something a lot faster than I'd like.

So. Suggestions? Thanks, thanks, thanks....

R.

Greetings--

Long story short-- I have to lock in my vacation in the next two days for this/next year.

I have two weeks from mid-August until mid-Oct 2019. Can't move the dates much due to my wife's MBA classes. Airfare isn't a biggie, although being able to fly on United Airlines from the west coast is a plus (discount).

Looking for non-liveaboard (this time) in Asia. Nudi's are a plus, good vis, etc. With possible shore excursions-- but monsoon season is a concern.

Our other option is a cooking tour of Italy (meh)-- but another dive trip was suggested at the last moment, so I'm trying to figure out something a lot faster than I'd like.

R.
Philippines
Muck: Aiyanar in Anilao.
Reef: Atlantis in Dumagette

Bali? Great diving and great topside.
You have macro in Tulamben area, and nice reefs off Nusa Penida.
Topside of temples and rice fields is pretty nice.
August is high season so going then beware of crowds, September and October probably better.

August to october means Indonesia (or Sipadan), this is typhoon/rainy period in the Phils so out of question.
Are you going for 2 weeks? 5 days at Komodo resort or Kalimaya resort for fantastic diving + one week in Bali/Tulamben (best area for nudibranches in my long macro diver experience, check my flickr galleries) would be instant favorites.

Thanks for the input guys.

Looks like Bali and one other place (maybe Komodo or Kalimaya?) We're blocking out the last two weeks of September )possibly plus a few days), and will start getting heavy into the research. There seems to be plenty of availability, so now we just have to decide where to stay, who to dive with, and what to do. My friend really liked aquamarine diving in Bali, so I guess that's one down.

This will be a combination "surf and turf" vacation, since the other couple don't want to dive every day. Or do a liveaboard.

Not sure how to get to Bali-- it's one of the few places on the planet I haven't been to/over/or near. I figure the four of us can bum our way to Tokyo, Taipei, or Hong Kong from San Fran and Denver, but I'm not quite sure who flies to Bali after that. Cathay for sure and possibly Eva. My wife and my girlfriend (NOT that type-- get your mind out of the gutter) have a pretty firm policy of not getting on anything with the words "Asia" or "China" in the title-- they have a pretty bad track record of dropping jets at inopportune times.

Anyhow, thanks for the steer-- it really helped!

R.

Lots of airlines going to Denpasar (DPS is Bali airport), so many passengers it takes about 2hrs to clear the immigration at peak hours (most long haul carriers land in the evening).
Have you considered Singapore as your intercontinental/long haul destination? it would be the easiest and closest from Bali, but HongKong, Taiwan, etc all these are fine too.
Dirtfarmer is right, try to start your trip end of september/early october so the european crowds are gone from the island.

Komodo and Kalimaya would involve more surf than turf, but the diving is beautiful there, -some of the best in indonesia you won't be disappointed-, other than a visit to the Komodo dragons there are not so many things to do on land, so you may cut your stay short and just spend 4 days, the rest in Bali (1,5hrs flight from Komodo LBJ airport)
As for Bali specifically -where I have been diving each year for the past 10 years-, I would not recommand operators based in Sanur for diving places like Tulamben (that also includes Aquamarine despie your friend's experience) as they are are not located on the dive premises therefore do not know as much the spots as the local operators do (and it's important for critters) and most of all they will drive you for 2 hrs before getting on pthe dive spot. I really suggest you locate on 2 different places in Bali preferably Tulamben (best place for nudis, IMO) and Padang Bai to go to manta stations, or chase the molamola.

There are a lot of Bali regulars on the indonesian board who can give you their advice on the operations/accoms to use after repeated experiences ( and nothing to sell ) so don't hesitate to ask questions or PM if you think you need some more advice.

Want the best diving adventure the Philippines has to offer? This has got to be it !!!
APO REEF * WW2 WRECKS * BLACK ISLAND * DIVING WITH DUGONGS

Budget Liveaboard Diving Adventures
Coron Palawan, Philippines​

Um, on of the first things I said was "no liveaboards this time"?

But thanks though.

Vacation booked last two weeks of Sept-- looking like some combination of Bali and Komodo at the moment. More research required, and then I herd cats.....

Thanks to all.[/QUOTE]

Greetings--

Our other option is a cooking tour of Italy (or something in Europe)-- but another dive trip was suggested at the last moment, so I'm trying to figure out something a lot faster than I'd like.

R.
I hope you can help me with some planning.

I have to go to a conference in Guam and am trying to figure out good diving on the island. Can you recommend an operator? Any not-to-be missed sites?

I also plan to add a week to 10 day trip to either Palau or Philippines since I'm already over there. Any thoughts on which would be better?

I also plan to add a week to 10 day trip to either Palau or Philippines since I'm already over there. Any thoughts on which would be better?
Not a question that can be answered without more info, like when are you going and what do you want to see? Both good places, and of course the Philippines have so many islands with different sorts of diving.

Back
Top Bottom